Tuner for F450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner for F450

What one would be the best and is there one? How about a DPF delet tune with a pipe. Thanks look forward to info. Also a ehaust system, preferably a set of stacks.A cai that does not throw codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by buc378 View Post
What one would be the best and is there one? How about a DPF delet tune with a pipe. Thanks look forward to info. Also a ehaust system, preferably a set of stacks.A cai that does not throw codes.
Yes there are tuners for both DPF delete and DPF "friendly" tunes. The DPF friendly are your typical Bully Dog, SuperChips, and Hypermax. Spartan and SCT are choices for DPF delete and DPF delete pipes.

As far as stacks, the only "bolt on" system I believe is from MBRP, but those are only 5" stacks and you still have to cut the bed and measure. I did a custom kit from Grand Rock since I had to cut and measure anyway, I got mine from Gus at Farmboy's Diesel, he hooked me up sick with the bed kit and 6" Aussie stacks.

With stock tuning S&B and Banks don't throw CEL.......if you tune it, then your options open up to AFE and others

Last edited by TwinTurboStroker; 10-02-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you got the right man in here...Julian is one of the fwe guys onhere that know this 6.4 better that anyone
Old 10-02-2008, 03:29 PM

I put a spartan tuner on my 450. I also did the DOC/DPF delete and have been running the 210 tune. My truck has 4.88 gears and I have went from 11.9 MPG empty to 13.9 to 14.3 MPG empty.
The power increase is very noticable and I'm very pleased with the performance.
Spartan has a great product but they are very tough to get a hold of sometimes. They have a forum that I had to use alot to get the answers I needed to some questions. Also the only other complaint I have is I have not recieved the CAI or a tracking number that I paid for on 12 Sep. That is a little frustrating because it is $325 bucks and I have no idea what the status is.
It will take a while for the tuner to "pay for itself" but the performance is worth it in my opinion.
Mike
Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I run both Spartan 250 and SCT in my F450 4.88 gears. I have had great luck with both, but I'm addicted to the power of the 250 spartan. Shifting is great with the newest SCT 1.26 for the average person, but the Spartan is awesome IMO. I like shifting very fast and very firm, this is how my Spartan tunes are(maybe to harsh for some people). My truck has a Suncoast converter and trans, so that may have some effect on things a little. There are pros and cons to both. If your not looking for the 250 hp, the SCT is a nice all around unit. It supports online updates for new programs and Ford reflashes. It's plug a play when you get it, and if you sell your truck it can be removed and unlocked for use in another truck or for sale. The Spartan tunes are more "custom" and certainly worth the wait. The tunes are written for your truck only and you get one free update for Ford reflashes or updates. If you remove it to program another truck, programs have to be purchased for the next truck. Many other features on the display and monitering are similar, but most of this comes down to your own taste. It's like picking paint colors for your house or furniture type. Both are great options and I think the competition between Spartan and SCT will only help us, the end user. Great things are still to come. Good luck with the choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.