Spartan questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan questions

I recently put my DPF/CAT delete pipe in & got my tunes & headed out for NY from TN. On my trip I encountered a few things that I have questions about.
First off I was pulling a 16' box trailer weighing roughly 5000lbs with the DD set on the 150 tune.

1. At w.o.t it would blow a little white smoke out! Why ??? what is going on it only has 3200miles on it. When my Duramax did this it meant it was time for injectors..

2. Were on the DD gauge cluster is a good egt reading? I cant find a EGT reading...Nor can I set a limit for it.

3. If you leave your DD on for a couple of hours with the truck off, do your gauges freeze up??

08 6.4 Lariat... SCT tuned by Eric @ Innovative, Full SunCoast, Elite pump, rails, EGR Delete w/ wastegate, studs, AirDog, intercooler w/ cold side pipe, bored block with ceramic pistons thanks to Aaron @ Rudy's....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ive had a couple calls on this white smoke you are refferring to, im having trouble getting the 2 ive been dealing with to duplicate the smoke when driving, im curious as to what you come up with as well, have you tried to contact matt at spartan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ITS STOCK
post #3 of 19 Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Let's Run'em

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley_xc View Post
I recently put my DPF/CAT delete pipe in & got my tunes & headed out for NY from TN. On my trip I encountered a few things that I have questions about.
First off I was pulling a 16' box trailer weighing roughly 5000lbs with the DD set on the 150 tune.

1. At w.o.t it would blow a little white smoke out! Why ??? what is going on it only has 3200miles on it. When my Duramax did this it meant it was time for injectors..

2. Were on the DD gauge cluster is a good egt reading? I cant find a EGT reading...Nor can I set a limit for it.

3. If you leave your DD on for a couple of hours with the truck off, do your gauges freeze up??
I can't answer the white smoke question......but for a good reading on the EGT do you have the latest firmware? I have to go look at my DD to see what its called exactly, but I believe its something like Ex Temp Bank 1......yeah the DD will kind of freeze up if you leave it one without the truck running, but thats normal, it kinda like your computer without a screen saver, if you leave idle for a while it will take a minute for it catch or "wake" up

-Julian

4th 6.fo
post #4 of 19 Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM

To read the correct EGT temps you will want to look for EGRTA (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature Sensor A (EGRT/EGRT-A).
Of course this is considering you have have changed to the 261 FORD specific parameters on the DD.
If I leave my DD on for 10-15mins after I shut the truck off, it will freeze up too. I just unplug and plug, simple as that.

2008 F-350 Diesel (duh!)
Crew-Cab Long Bed 4x4 with 3.73's

Build date: 12/06.....What's the EPA think about that

S&B Intake
5" MBRP filter back
3.5" CAT/DPF delete, Powerstroker67
Spartan Phalanx and the truck is now FUN TO DRIVE
post #5 of 19 Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
DKR
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Just wanted to add that my DashDAQ (non Spartan) would lock up also. Ever since I downloaded the new updates from DrewTech, it no longer locks up. I believe it is version 1.4

Eric
2007 F250 6.0l King Ranch CC LB
Sponsored by Innovative Diesel Performance
SCT XCal2 w/ Custom Files & FICM tuning
DashDAQ Series II; ARP Headstuds; AFE Stage 2 XP Intake w/ Proguard 7
Industrial Injection 190cc injectors; FASS 150/180; ITP Regulated Return
'03 Turbo Swap; Zex N2O Dry Shot; CFM Smallmouth Intake Elbow
Zoodad w/ Predator Screen; MBRP 4" Cool Duals Straight Piped
EGR Delete w/ full manifold; Coolant Bypass Filter; Train Horns
Eclipse AVN62D; High Idle Mod; BFG ATs 285-65/20s

Truck- 12.51sec @ 108mph @ ~7700lbs (1/4 mi)
Cooler- 39.93sec @ 12.12mph @ ~180lbs (1/8 mi)

Email:
post #6 of 19 Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

re-wire dashdaq

my dd froze constantly, and i hated it staying on while the truck was not. Opened up the OBDII harness from the dd and found the orange wire. cut this wire and connect the side coming from the dd to keyed ignition........soooo much better.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hugie View Post
my dd froze constantly, and i hated it staying on while the truck was not. Opened up the OBDII harness from the dd and found the orange wire. cut this wire and connect the side coming from the dd to keyed ignition........soooo much better.
You cut a wire coming off your OBD-II port? I guess I see what you did with the the DD, but what happens with the dealer or any other shop has to hook up to it?

-Julian

4th 6.fo
post #8 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
You cut a wire coming off your OBD-II port? I guess I see what you did with the the DD, but what happens with the dealer or any other shop has to hook up to it?

That makes the ODBII port hot only with the key on.

And that should be fine, as diagnostics only work with the key on anyhow.

2008 F250 FX4 CC SB Black on Black STOCK and SLOW...Rolled over and TOTALED...

2008 White with Black interior FX4 CCSB
Black C6 Vette
As far as actual HP numbers I have no idea. It don't snap your neck but.....It feels good.

post #9 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahrump View Post
That makes the ODBII port hot only with the key on.

And that should be fine, as diagnostics only work with the key on anyhow.
Ah I see.......but still

-Julian

4th 6.fo
post #10 of 19 Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
I can't answer the white smoke question......but for a good reading on the EGT do you have the latest firmware?
Dont know it's only a week old.... Im trying to get a hold of Matt as we speek.

08 6.4 Lariat... SCT tuned by Eric @ Innovative, Full SunCoast, Elite pump, rails, EGR Delete w/ wastegate, studs, AirDog, intercooler w/ cold side pipe, bored block with ceramic pistons thanks to Aaron @ Rudy's....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode