Mishimoto Intercooler Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mishimoto Intercooler Review

I have been debating an aftermarket intercooler and cold side pipe for a while. I couldn't really find any reviews or much first hand info on them. I ended up buying one from a site with a 15% off black friday discount. Saved almost $300.

Anyways, I installed it last Friday. The intercooler is definitely great quality. Very heavy and the welds all look pretty decent. The intercooler itself mounts right up no problem.

The problems start with the cold side pipe. I had to trim my upper rad support to get it to fit. All of the silicone boots Mishimoto supplies are to short (except cold side pipe to intake elbow) and the clamps are definitely not the same quality of the factor Ford clamps. I had to reuse two of the factory boots. I do have a Flo Pro intake elbow so maybe that contributed to trouble with fitment of the cold side pipe.

Anyways, after trimming and reusing some of the factory boots (hot and cold side at the intercooler), it ended up working out well.

First Ride:

There is a noticeable increase in throttle response. I am running Gearhead's tunes via MCC and it always seemed like there was a dead spot way down low. Probably b/c of Matt's LBF settings. There is no longer this dead spot.

Matt's tunes are very smoke conscience with just a little puff if you punch it. There is even less of a puff now with the mishimoto installed.

There is more engine noise. I may be delusional, but it seems like the engine noise and noise coming from the airbox is now louder in the cab. This not a bad thing. I have always missed the sound of my 6.0. I do have a aftermarket 4" DP (might be 3.5" can't remember) to a 5" straight pipe. The DP is wrapped with header wrap.

EGTs all around are less. I have no recorded numbers from before to show though. But just watching my mini max, they're lower in pretty much all aspects of driving.

Is the mishimoto intercooler kit worth the price? I'd say not really, b/c of pipe/clamp/boot issues. That is ton of money to spend to have any issues at all. I am happy though with what it is after saving a good chunk of change for Black Friday.

Are there real performance gains? YES

It looks cool too behind the grill.

If you can afford one without going hungry for a month, go for it!

Always use a ratchet to finish tightening the clamps. The 12 volt impact is not adequate.....I should know this, I have had the hot side blow off the intercooler twice. I was just to lazy again haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Mishimoto Intercooler Review-intercooler.jpg   Mishimoto Intercooler Review-intercooler-truck.jpg   Mishimoto Intercooler Review-intercooler-vs-stock.jpg  

Last edited by ars5147; 12-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Just a headsup I had no fitment issues with my afe intercooler.

Glad you like your piece. You can definitely feel a better throttle response and more low end grunt with a bigger cac.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM

I have not seen a cold side pipe that didn't require the trimming up the upper radiator support except for the twin tube pipe that elite had at one time.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt dong View Post
Just a headsup I had no fitment issues with my afe intercooler.

Glad you like your piece. You can definitely feel a better throttle response and more low end grunt with a bigger cac.
Good to hear. I was surprised of how substantial the improvement was.

Last edited by ars5147; 12-16-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
I have not seen a cold side pipe that didn't require the trimming up the upper radiator support except for the twin tube pipe that elite had at one time.
I made it work. Figured it wasn't unusual b/c there was no other way to make a pipe fit there without smashing it like the stock one.

The silicone boots are really nice, just 2/3 useless.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Guessing but I have aFe and my buddy has Mishimoto and I can't tell the difference.

I used Dieselsite intercooler boots and they have enough length for double clamps on all connects...
Some extra insurance
Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars5147 View Post
I made it work. Figured it wasn't unusual b/c there was no other way to make a pipe fit there without smashing it like the stock one.

The silicone boots are really nice, just 2/3 useless.
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review, always great to hear from our customers. Cutting of the upper radiator support is necessary for the cold side pipe installation, we have a tutorial video at the link below!

2008-2010 Ford F250 w/ 6.4L Diesel Performance Intercooler Kit Modification Guide - YouTube

I am concerned about the issues you had with the boot fitment, we tested this kit numerous time with 0 fitment concerns. I will be sending a PM your way for more details on your install.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding our cooler.

Thanks
-John
Old 12-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Any thoughts on maybe doing a Christmas sale on ya'lls radiators....ummm since I need one?
Old 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorchrock View Post
Any thoughts on maybe doing a Christmas sale on ya'lls radiators....ummm since I need one?
Wish there were some around when I had to replace my radiator a few months ago.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review, always great to hear from our customers. Cutting of the upper radiator support is necessary for the cold side pipe installation, we have a tutorial video at the link below!

2008-2010 Ford F250 w/ 6.4L Diesel Performance Intercooler Kit Modification Guide - YouTube

I am concerned about the issues you had with the boot fitment, we tested this kit numerous time with 0 fitment concerns. I will be sending a PM your way for more details on your install.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding our cooler.

Thanks
-John
John,

Here are some pics.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mishimoto Intercooler Review-img_2772.jpg   Mishimoto Intercooler Review-img_2773.jpg   Mishimoto Intercooler Review-img_2774.jpg   Mishimoto Intercooler Review-img_2775.jpg   Mishimoto Intercooler Review-img_2776.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.