loose steering problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
loose steering problems

so on the way way back from a 800 mile trip my steering wheel got really loose and i checked every thing under the truck and everything is tight. what else should i check? the truck has only a 4 inch lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 PM

I would not know anything the lift on your truck...But the steering box on my 08 F250
4X4 had to be replaced by the dealer at about 40,000 miles. It seemed it to go bad on it's own...my truck is stock ...It had play left and right...almost a inch on each side...
It was unsafe to drive
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It prolly just the box. My 04 6.0L truck had to have the box replaced at 30k just from running 295-75-16 tires. I'll tell you a trick you can try to see what it is. Lay under your truck and have somone move your steering wheel from left to right. Only move it for the amount of play that's it. Like an inch to the left and an inch to the right you said correct? Then just look at everything closely while under there. Im gonna bet it the box. They are easy to change though. The steering shaft is notched to only go on one way. And one powersteering line is larger than the other so they can't be crossed. 3 bolts holds it on. If you change it, get your steering wheel straight and then lock it so it can't move after you pull the shaft. Cause it it would spin around a revolution it will throw everything out of whach when it comes to the mechanism in there that automatically kicks your blinkers off if you know what Im' saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.