Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking for MPG's

4K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Gas Sucks 
#1 ·
My 08 came out with 20" wheels..first few tanks 9.5mpg...took of 20" wheels and put my 17x10's that I kept off of my 06 when I traded...mpg's went to 11.5....purchased a superchips cortex mpg's went to 14..now I have 17k miles on truck mpg's are staying 14.5-15...what can I do now to see a increase? Would the Spartan Tuner do better? Advice please....THANKS

#2 ·
Yes the spartan tuner will help out your fuel economy. It'll get rid of that big ol'e DPF back there, and will shut off the EGR on the higher tunes. IMO its worth it.

#3 ·
i just put the spartan on mine. nothin else except the tuner and cat/dpf delete. i run the 210 tune. everyone says they get better milage out of the 250. i get between 19.5 at 80 mph and 23 at 70mph highway. i haven't had it long enough to know what it is around town but from what everyone else is saying you're lookin at around 15 to 17.

#5 ·
The Spartan get's great milege 20+ MPG hwy.

#7 · (Edited)
The Cortex that I used in my 08 F150 shop truck with a 5.4 damn sure didn't help my gas mileage. I used the Cortex, a Banks air box and a Gibson exhaust,,,13.2 average running around town. The exact same thing it got totally stock.

I used the Spartan in my 08 F350 and didn't notice much of a gain in town,,but I took a road trip this past weekend and at 75 to 85 got right at 18 mpg running the 120 tune,,I haven't trip a road trip with the 210 tune yet, I kinda like the driveabliity of the 120 though,,,leaving that in for now as I'm gonna be dragging my boat down to the Key's for New Years.

#9 ·
Dang it sucks hearing yalls mileage, i went on a road trip this weekend set the cruise on 70 and got 11 mpg on interstate, i have 08 F-250 4dr 4x4 with 3" leveling kit on front and 35" tires on 20" rims, also DPF delete, no muffler or cat, and SCT w/dpf delete tune, i guess if SCT doesnt hurry with the custom tuning i will be buying a Spartan

#12 ·
After reading these post on the mpg improvement I think I'll be getting one also after the first of the year. I wasn't crazy about doing the DPF delete but if I can improve the mpg's and it's not to much to take out and put in if I have to go back to the dealer I think I'll do the Spartan also.

Also should make the truck more fun to drive :woot:

#14 ·
Oh,,,the changes were worth the improved performance/driveability...The one thing Matt @ Spartan did tell me was to quit driving like an old lady as the program "adapts" somewhat to driving style...I'm still not sure if the program adapts or the ECM adapts,,but whatever.
I hear and read about people towing with the 210 tune,,and one word keeps me from trying it......FEAR...I guess I worry to much but with that much tune I would think that the EGT's would be out of this world, I came up from a 6.0 and 1000 degress was shaky.Worried about breaking it hundreds of miles from home and no way to put it back to stock before I take it to the stealership.

#16 ·
Everything I read had always told me 1200 was max on a 6.0 and only for short periods of time.

#18 ·
I cant believe the mpg you guys are getting. I drove 250 miles on the interstate yeaterday with the 250 tune loaded & the best I have seen is 14mpg that is with the cruise control set on 75...:dunno:

#21 ·
Im going off GPS & I only got around 16 with stock 20's. I mean I wouldnt trade my Spartan for anything just a little dissapointed by the mpg's. I am going to buy the 275 tune & see if that helps...:dunno:

#20 ·
The whole fuel mileage argument is getting old. I mean seriously.. I bought my tuner to increase HP/Torque and if it gained me some MPG, then fine, if not, fine.

The beautiful result of putting these tuners on these trucks, is that I cant find anywhere where anybody has reported WORSE fuel mileage than stock with *normal* driving or towing, yet they've picked up 75-275HP at the rear wheels.

#26 ·
I have a August 2008 F350 Dually with stock 17 inch tire and I get 12.89 mpg running empty at 70 mph and I have a pickup camper at 4500 lb's and tow a 21 ft boat I get 8.8 to 9.3 mpg at 65 mph. I plan on getting the Spartan tuner DPF DELETE after the first of the year and IF I can pickup at least 1 1/2 miles per gallon towing I will be really happy.

Benfer

#27 ·
What do you guys think of the edge evolution? I like what i here about the spartan but little $$$ for me right know. would like to do dpf/cat delete soon, Im all new to this can you help:confused:

#30 ·
If you do the Edge you will still need a DPF delete program. If you want a straight up delete progam you could install the DPF-R unit. You will be out the same or more money that way, so my suggestion is do the Spartan and you will have the power tune and the delete program. I've read many times here that you will get a mileage increase.

#31 ·
I read an article in the Diesel Power magazine that insinuated if you did a DPF delete that you would gain 4 to 5 miles a gallon. I did the DPF-R unit with emulator and gained nothing I could detect. Reading a thread on this form a Spartan tech said that the regen uses somewhere around 1/2 a gallon per tank. Hard to detect on a 38 gallon tank like mine. The fuel milage increases come from the hp tunes you install and because they create more soot you need the dpf delete, other wise you plug your $1500 dpf.

#32 ·
Sounds like Spartan is the way i will go, Thanks! know if i do the spartan and Dpf/cat delete Should i keep all around if i need to go back to the stillership? Should spartan be removed also? How hard is the unit to hook up and take out of rig?

#34 ·
The Spartan isn't permenantly mounted so you should be able to return to stock tune in a matter of minutes,,,The delete pipe takes about 30 minutes to remove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.