Want to delete EGR/DPF but I don't want to add HP. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to delete EGR/DPF but I don't want to add HP.

Like the title states I just want to delete those two trouble makers and I don't want to add anymore pressure to the combustion chamber as my block isn't studded. I don't mind running a tune if it is a tune that will make the engine more reliable and durable.

What are my options? DPF-R? does it do a EGR delete also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Yes, the Gearbox Z shuts off the DPF and EGR. You will need a new pipe (or at least a DPF delete pipe)and have to keep the sensors connected to close the circuit but they can be zip tied to your frame. I would highly recommend the going with the 4 plus model, it only adds 70 hp and the truck will run a little stronger. I have towed 10K with it with no problems, EGT didn't get higher than 1140.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 PM

I wouldn't do the EGR delete unless you have a leaking EGR cooler. Just do the block off plates with the tune.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:14 PM

I know it's been cover a million times. I just got a 6.4 with 238,900 miles on it. Completely stock. About to make a 3500 round trip vacation, interested in egr/dpf delete. However after all the searching. I haven't seen a good write up on what exactly to do....parts numbers, plates, pictures, pipe, tuner etc. it's a bit much until I can read a thorough write up. If someone would point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I'd like to do this this weekend so I can start seeing the return on my money MPG-wise.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeav View Post
I wouldn't do the EGR delete unless you have a leaking EGR cooler. Just do the block off plates with the tune.
Evidently you've never seen the inside of a 6.4 manifold after running an EGR for numerous miles.......It looks like roofing tar mixed with charcoal.

These deposits going back into your engine are KILLERS!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM

The first thing you need is the proper (race) tuner that supports deleting the EGR. Next would be the exhaust: a DPF delete pipe at the minimum. Next would be an EGR delete kit. This is the starting point. After this you can also add an intake and other goodies. If you are going to do this do it right the first time, so spend more to get more. Go with a Spartan or H&S Mini Maxx (race) tuner.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
The first thing you need is the proper (race) tuner that supports deleting the EGR. Next would be the exhaust: a DPF delete pipe at the minimum. Next would be an EGR delete kit. This is the starting point. After this you can also add an intake and other goodies. If you are going to do this do it right the first time, so spend more to get more. Go with a Spartan or H&S Mini Maxx (race) tuner.
I understand what you are saying from a performance stand point, but my goal is to make the engine as reliable as possible. That's the main reason why I want to do a EGR delete. I don't need the tops of my valve train and intake being coating with roofing tar. Now I know that running a water/alky injection will clean that right up but that might be an update down the road because from what I read it makes everything run better and more reliable.

Is the Mini Maxx or the Spartan worth the extra coin even though I want a stock HP tune?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Don't the block off plates prevent the exhaust from going back into the manifold? Also, the Gearbox Z tuner closes the EGR valve so there isn't any exhaust running through the coolers...at least that is my understanding.

I agree with the recommendation on tuners and would throw in one other, SCT 3015r. It shuts off the EGR, deletes the DPF and you can get custom tunes from Gearhead, IDP, etc. They are becoming very hard to find.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cterrebonne View Post
I understand what you are saying from a performance stand point, but my goal is to make the engine as reliable as possible. That's the main reason why I want to do a EGR delete. I don't need the tops of my valve train and intake being coating with roofing tar. Now I know that running a water/alky injection will clean that right up but that might be an update down the road because from what I read it makes everything run better and more reliable.

Is the Mini Maxx or the Spartan worth the extra coin even though I want a stock HP tune?
You CANNOT delete the EGR and/or DPF without doing what I said previously. It costs the same to run those tuners on a stock tune or +300 so what it really comes down to getting over your fear of power.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
You CANNOT delete the EGR and/or DPF without doing what I said previously. It costs the same to run those tuners on a stock tune or +300 so what it really comes down to getting over your fear of power.
Someone has already recommended the DPF-R 4.0 to delete the stuff, it doesn't have to be a Spartan or H&S to delete the dpf and egr bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.