How can you tell if a truck has tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How can you tell if a truck has tune?

Couple of questions. Bought a used truck (repo with no keys) and it won't crank.

Towed it over to the Ford dealer and got 2 PATS keys cut and programmed. Flashing PATS light has gone away. All wiring appears intact. Truck will not crank. TCM and PCM both have power. If you jump the starter, the truck will crank, start, run and drive, everything works.

The complete exhaust from the downpipe back is missing, including sensors. The Ford dealer tells me that it there is a "crank inhibit" if the backpressure/EGT sensors are out of range. Is this correct?

Here are the 3 active codes currently in the ECM:

P0546 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 1
P2033 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 2
P2455 Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A Circuit High

So, will those codes + no exhaust sensors plugged in inhibit start/crank?

Also, is there any way possible to tell if it's got a tune? I don't want to buy a delete exhaust if it's stock and I don't want to buy a stock exhaust if it's tuned.

Thanks for any help/direction you guys can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The 6.4s will go into a default 1 hour "no crank" when 1 or more of the EGT sensors is unplugged. I effed up when installing my exhaust and tried to move the truck with them undone, it cranked to get me moved out and back in the shop, but when I shut it down and attempted to restart it...no dice. It went into the 1 hour "no crank" lock out...
I later read about that situation in some Ford literature...but can't recall where!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

hs tunes dont need sensors so you can rule that out.

either or both sct or spartan need them plugged in.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:25 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Spartan doesn't need sensors either. Sct and dpf-r do need them. Based on them codes it looks like the truck is still stock. Buy an h&s race tuner used from the forums, make sure it is unlocked. Tune the truck and get ya an exhaust. It will be the cheapest way especially if you got wiring missing too. The owner prolly had it deleted and ripped his exhaust off and returned it to stock and let it get repo'd. Check to see if it has egr delete also because if it does you can't go back to stock exhaust with an egr delete or else you will have more codes.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Have the dealer print you the IDS Log (Technician View) when they identify the truck and I can tell you from that what strategy is loaded.

My guess would be since the exhaust is missing, the guy who owned the truck before took the exhaust off and returned it to stock before they repossessed it. A repo isn't a surprise lol.

The exhaust missing will indeed cause the no-crank. Read my post in one of these sections called "Announcement - EGT13"

Since you are somewhat nearby, I can come look at it for you, and get a strategy loaded for you so it's at least driveable. Let me know via PM or text, I will PM you my number.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
also if you get an H&S no need to worry about what tune is on it. h&s doesnt save the stock file, they are programmed into the tuner so if you buy an H&S just download tune with dpf delete and away you go, if you ever return it to stock it will put a new stock file back on the truck so no more guessing
Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Have the dealer print you the IDS Log (Technician View) when they identify the truck and I can tell you from that what strategy is loaded.

My guess would be since the exhaust is missing, the guy who owned the truck before took the exhaust off and returned it to stock before they repossessed it. A repo isn't a surprise lol.

The exhaust missing will indeed cause the no-crank. Read my post in one of these sections called "Announcement - EGT13"

Since you are somewhat nearby, I can come look at it for you, and get a strategy loaded for you so it's at least driveable. Let me know via PM or text, I will PM you my number.
Sent you a pm.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
also if you get an H&S no need to worry about what tune is on it. h&s doesnt save the stock file, they are programmed into the tuner so if you buy an H&S just download tune with dpf delete and away you go, if you ever return it to stock it will put a new stock file back on the truck so no more guessing
Good point. I had forgotten that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.