exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust

Has anyone tried to put an exhaust system on their truck WITHOUT a tuner.
I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Based on posts I've seen over the years, I'd have to say yes. Many people have removed exhaust components without a tuner.

It doesn't work very well.

Then they post on the forums to help them figure out why their truck won't start, or is stuck in limp mode, or why the exhaust is a flamethrower, and people set them straight and they discover they have to spend a few hundred bucks more than they though. It's kinda funny.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 AM

Can't do it. My buddy put his DPF delete pipe on and tried starting it for fun without putting his tuner on first. It sprayed diesel out the tailpipe! It will start but it sounds HORRIBLE and like I said, for some reason your fuel gets into your exhaust system. They have cheap DPF delete tuners on Ebay for like a hundred bucks or so. But they really don't add horsepower like a $1600 programmer like my Spartan will. Invest in the Spartan or an H&S Mini Maxx and you won't believe the difference in power and MPG
Old 11-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wasnt asking if I could lol. I was just anyone has tried and the reason why you you get fuel in your dpf is because that's how it does the exhaust cleaning. It dumps unburnt fuel in there and then burns it off inside the dpf. That's why you see a cloud of smoke pouring out of the exhaust. Also the reason why trucks with dpfs get horrible mpgs.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08f3fiddy View Post
That's why you see a cloud of smoke pouring out of the exhaust. Also the reason why trucks with dpfs get horrible mpgs.
My DPF never got clogged enough to have white smoke come out during regen thank god. I went from 8 to 18 mpg after deleting
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Don't you worry about it

^ I'm so tired of seeing posts like this misleading people into thinking they are going to have some astronomical MPG gains. There is no way you gained 10 miles per gallon by deleting the DPF. If you are simply going off of the Lie-o-meter in the dash it is not right. I personally gained 1-2 miles per gallon.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM

MPG screen reads 26. hand calculated at 18 and thats highway miles pulling stuff usually a bunch of stuff in the bed. Thats 100 highway mile round trip into Monticello where all the rich people live and we install their swimming pools every day. I was getting 8 hand calculated before with a clogged DPF regerating twice a day. You probably had a good DPF and do a lot of city driving where the delete didn't help but my work 6.4 had 120,000 miles on the stock DPF. Also your truck is lifted and has big tires. Mine has 6 stock size michelins. The point is people do gain 10 mpg especially when they are going into rapid regen all the time. Its not astronomical, its 3 mpg more than when it was new.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Don't you worry about it

mine got around 9 in town from the time I bought it with 40k miles on it until I deleted it and now it gets 10-11 in town. Highway I get about 14-15 ish normally. I towed a 5x8 inclosed utility trailer from NC to FL and got in the 13's the whole way there and back.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
mine got around 9 in town from the time I bought it with 40k miles on it until I deleted it and now it gets 10-11 in town. Highway I get about 14-15 ish normally. I towed a 5x8 inclosed utility trailer from NC to FL and got in the 13's the whole way there and back.
Thats horrible. Your F250 must be a lemon or something. My coworker has a 2009 crewcab ram 2500 with the 6.7 deleted and claims to get 22 mpg hand calculated. I've never heard as low as 10-11 even in town. Some trucks are like that though. Must be the lift/gears comination
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Don't you worry about it

Nope, I know several people around here that get about the same mileage. I will add that I do not drive it conservatively and FYI people for some reason have this thing where they feel the need to lie about MPG's, something I will never understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.