Spartan's "Experimental Tune" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan's "Experimental Tune"

Just got back late last night from driving out to see Matt yesterday because of some issues that I have been having out of my truck and my DD. Let me start off by saying, that Matt and his family were very nice, the hospitality was unbelievable. I thought that I was going to show up, he was just gonna tinker with my truck for a few minutes, and send me on my way. This was not the case, he hooked up all of his "MAGIC" gear to my truck to see what was going on with it, we drove around for a while so that he could monitor things for himself. He was not able to come up with the answer about why my F-450 is having issues, but he assured me that he and Scott will be working on it as he recorded several data logs of huge defueling issues, etc. What he did, without much convincing, was loaded his "EXPERIMENTAL TUNE" on my truck. I started it and he said, "mash the throttle one good time for me.." so I did, and let me say the sight that I saw in my rear view mirror was asstounding. I mean it looked like smoke coming from the Wabash Cannonball. So much smoke was produced, I actually had to wait a minute or so before I could back up, simply because I couldn't see. We drove around on that tune for several minutes, and I have to admit, I usually don't drive like this, but with all of this new found power, I couldn't help it, I drove it HARD. The power is instantaneous. Ok, now for the trip back, the big payoff was fuel economy, cruising at speeds between 70-80mph, I was seeing the lie-o-meter at numbers ranging between 21 and 23, and said yeah right, whatever. I hand calculated it, and after 339 miles of highway, between 70-80mph, I was actually getting 21.3 mpg with a Job 2 F-450, Crew Cab, Auto, 4x4, and 4.30 gears. I am very thankful to Matt for taking time out of his schedule to make this happen for me. He estimates this tune to be around 275hp. With traction control ON, going down the interstate, still wet from the rain, coming out of some congestion at about 50mph, I tromped on it, and damn near got sideways....WOW!!!! Before any of you skeptics say, "yeah right", or "That MAtt guy is smoking crack", let me say, he definitely has his act together and knows what he is doing. He shared lots of secrets with me that I am not at liberty to say, but there is alot of cool stuff coming down the pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to hear it worked out!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the update. I was wondering who his test subject was.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to ford_trck
I sounds like you like having a tune in the truck. Were you able to get the problem figured out?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Matt is actively working on trying to figure out what the problem is/was. He and I both think it has something to with some sort of calibration specific to the F-450's. As soon as we know, I will post. I had tunes in the truck before, but the power would come and go, almost constant CEL's, and very poor economy, so poor in fact, it was like the truck was stock. But now, it is freakin B A D A S S!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Emergency Services

think i should have waited to go with matt instead of sct
Old 08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Emergency Services

That's good to hear. Now I'm thinking to myself , "Oh great, I'm gonna have drop another couple hundred bucks under the guise of saving fuel and getting better mpg's, or be honest with myself and admit its just so dang fun to drive!"" Power and MPG's, friggin awesome! I wonder when this will become available to the masses?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:27 AM

I love how these tunes come up with a moniker like "Experimental" or "R&D"...

All of this new fuel will be great, but you guys better prepare your engine like Matt says or the EGTs will bite you.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 AM

I noticed yesterday on a quick jaunt on a long on-ramp to the interstate, when I hammered down on it pretty hard, egt's reached 1720!!!! Pretty freakin hot if you ask me. You will definitely have to keep a close eye on egt's. Shifting is not quite as firm as the 350 tune, so I am wondering if line pressures are where they should be??
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Powerstrokefuston, what kind of mpg's were you getting before the new tune? I can't get better than 16.8 mpg in my truck and that's when driving like my Grandma. TIA

Sorry I just realized this was a 6.4 post

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 08-18-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.