Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

filter vs. CAI

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  TwinTurboStroker 
#1 ·
I'm considering getting a CAI for my truck, but I keep getting stuck. I look at all the available kits and I'm hard pressed to see how ANY of the kits could possibly flow more air than stock. Every single unit is limited by the size of the opening into the fender well. Can someone give me any good reason NOT to just buy a filter, and run it in the stock box?

#2 ·
Well I've raised that question myself......but I do know wone thing for fact, if you plan on re-programming the truck past a 125HP tune your going to need some type of CAI or high flow filter simply because the truck will need more than what the stock intake will allow and you'll get a check filter light. Hell for the first time the other day my AFE stage with a pre-filter threw light because the pre-filter was too dirty and not letting enough air through

#3 ·
AFE has a prefilter? Do you mean one of those fabric socks you put over the filter?

Looking at the stock element, I have to believe its restrictive. Looking at the stock box.....I can't see how you can improve on that. I mean, MAYBE you can make a larger volume box (like what roush is doing) but thats about it!

#6 ·
Whatever you do stay away from the K&N drop ins they dont seal well enough for a diesel application:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.