Adding stand alone trans cooler, Anyone done this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding stand alone trans cooler, Anyone done this?

Im in the process of signing the final paperwork on a big RV trailer, goosneck , my question is about the trans, I have never had any problems with mine but the converter, i replaced with a billet converter last year, I have 175k on the clock and looking to keep it going longer, I have added a external trans filter , i was looking how easy it would be to add a massive cooler to it and bypass my cooler built into the radiator. this way it will help keep all that cool and get my trans lower on temp by running a stand alone,

1. anyone see any reason why i can't or should not do that?
2. is the stock trans fluid pump good enough to do this? if not do i need at add another one in line?
3. what is the lowest recommended temp to run the trans at.
4. what is the max temp?

thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM

That's a good question I am interested as well , I tow a 40 ft toy hauler

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well when I get back from overseas I'm going to order a big cooler and temp controlled switch , I'm going to put it threw its paces and see how it turned out, ill start by towing my trailer for 30 min down the highway log temps, then do the swap and log temps, if I see a decrease in temp then ill know it works then ill dial in the temp by using a temp switch hooked to a fan, for the first solo run fan will be on all the time,
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive always threatened to get one of those fancy tranny fans with the fins on them. But after a long tow this summer I found the tranny temps to never be a issue.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Indian Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitCTSV View Post
Im in the process of signing the final paperwork on a big RV trailer, goosneck , my question is about the trans, I have never had any problems with mine but the converter, i replaced with a billet converter last year, I have 175k on the clock and looking to keep it going longer, I have added a external trans filter , i was looking how easy it would be to add a massive cooler to it and bypass my cooler built into the radiator. this way it will help keep all that cool and get my trans lower on temp by running a stand alone,

1. anyone see any reason why i can't or should not do that?
2. is the stock trans fluid pump good enough to do this? if not do i need at add another one in line?
3. what is the lowest recommended temp to run the trans at.
4. what is the max temp?

thanks everyone.
Yep did this awhile back here is the write up, hope it helps

HEAVY DUTY TRANS COOLER INSTALL
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Hunter of Trolls

the transmission has an internal thermostatically controlled valve that will only sip fluid exterior to it until an operating temperature of 165* is achieved... at what point it is fully open.. it will flutter in attempts to maintain that temperature...

this chart is good info as to what you should expect when discussing temperature vs. life:

adding an exterior cooling plate adds both volume and exchange surface (duh), but it also will add years of life to your transmission... Heat is the enemy.. that said, too cool is an enemy too, not to parts or clutch surfaces, but to quality of shifts.. it will shift hard... shifting hard isn't bad for the transmission, either, but it is bad to folks who think there is something wrong and break it open to find out what... idiots working inside a piece of machinery above their station are enemy #1 to a transmissions longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.