Boost or turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost or turbo

I have 08 with studs, egr delete, 4 in pipes going down to 5, 4 in cold side, new oil cooler, new up pipe ( oil cooler and up pipe less than 2 months old). Truck has been running flawless. I get in with family yesterday make small trip. I kinda noticed truck seemed loud under hood but I typically got radio up so I thought maybe it just me. But then I went go around someone and it didn't have get up at all like my truck normally has, looked down noticed hardly any boost. On highway the most I could get was 15lbs. I looked yesterday evening, til dark trying find hose off( I'm no mechanic at all, I learn everything from you guys) like I said it sounds really loud under hood and too me seems like it's on drivers side. If in park and hit gas really don't hear it but under load it's loud. To me it seemed like turbo was kinda getting really hot but again I never really thought about it before so it may not be. I out truck in drive, did break stand, then shut truck off. I didn't hear any grinding from the turbo.if standing on drivers side it kinda sounds like a buzzing noise coming from top motor on drivers side. I hadn't noticed b4 but it coulda always done that. Anyways sorry for the long post.it suppose be really bad weather here today( tornado) so idk what else I can check. I thought about taking boots off see if any rips, although they looked fine by just looking. Again guys I'm no mechanic at all, but if you guys got any idea where to look it would be so appreciated. Thks for any help friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your hot side pipe is connected good where it connects to the bottom of the intercooler and connected good to the turbo, then your cold side has to be connected good to the intercooler on the passenger side and the other end going into the egr elbow. If all 4 connections are good then to me it sounds like it may be an uppipe cracked/blew out (which is what I think it is since you can still build some boost). That would be the first places to start
Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Crazy I just had driver side up pipe replaced while doing oil cooler. Is passenger side able be done cab on?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 AM

To be honest y'all no way more than me, but it sounds more restriction than leak. I took pipe off of top of intercooler and it was sucking like crazy. I don't know if that matters, it just feels plugged idk I could be wrong maybe it is up pipe. I looked all over it looked like it was together though
Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM

What programmer are you running? Check for codes. Are you sure that your VGT is working?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:43 PM

I'm running h&s no codes.. No not sure.. Is there a way too tell?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:49 PM

Yes I just seen what vgt is, and when I cut key on the bracket moves. So I'm assuming it's working.. I'm starting wonder if my passenger side up pipe don't have leak.. Can it be replaced cab on?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Yeah pretty much anything can be done cab on. I feel like it is going to be a uppipe. make sure to check the bellow good
Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 PM

Woodboy does it seem weird that both up pipes be screwed up if that's what it is? What you think it will cost have it replaced?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Yeah you usually don't hear of both going at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.