Mishimoto 6.4L Intercooler Testing! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mishimoto 6.4L Intercooler Testing!

We don't just make products, we put them to the test as well! When our engineers design a new product, it goes through rigorous testing to ensure that our customers are going to receive the highest quality product.

The Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Intercooler is no different. Our intercooler went through intense testing to make sure our intercooler would offer the increase in performance our customers were looking for!

Our Performance Intercooler lowers AITs by 21%, and has a 50% less pressure drop than stock. The all-aluminum construction also offers more efficient heat dissipation, while the bar and plate core ensures strength and reliability. This intercooler, which is 18% thicker and 20% larger in volume than the stock intercooler, is guaranteed to keep your truck cool, and look good doing it!

Engineering Report - http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...ing-Report.pdf

Product Page - http://www.mishimoto.com/ford-6-4l-p...ler-08-10.html

Post up your questions and comments below!

PLX temperature and pressure sensors were used to obtain our data.

Our Engineering Report shows the hard data, proving that our intercooler was built to perform!

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited by Mishimoto; 11-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Not only does this intercooler outperform the stock unit, it's also incredibly easy to install! Check out the install video to see for yourself.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Tyler,
My 08 6.4l gets condensation buildup in the bottom of the stock intercooler, when conditions are just right it sucks it up, stumbles and bellows white smoke. Ford put out a TSB for it, which I never bothered with following through on. Does your intercooler cure this? Or is it just something these trucks do? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshcutmullet View Post
Tyler,
My 08 6.4l gets condensation buildup in the bottom of the stock intercooler, when conditions are just right it sucks it up, stumbles and bellows white smoke. Ford put out a TSB for it, which I never bothered with following through on. Does your intercooler cure this? Or is it just something these trucks do? Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is a common issue with these trucks. I read the TSB that Ford put out about this issue, and there doesn't seem to be any permanent solution. Our intercooler does not have any differences in the design to stop this from happening, so I cannot say that our intercooler will cure this issue. Though our intercooler may not stop this concern, it does have many other benefits! Please let me know if you have any other questions, as I would be happy to help.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info Tyler! Upgrading the intercooler is on my list of things to do next year.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Unfortunately, this is a common issue with these trucks. I read the TSB that Ford put out about this issue, and there doesn't seem to be any permanent solution. Our intercooler does not have any differences in the design to stop this from happening, so I cannot say that our intercooler will cure this issue. Though our intercooler may not stop this concern, it does have many other benefits! Please let me know if you have any other questions, as I would be happy to help.

Thanks,
Tyler
Wouldn't a CCV for oil and a drain plug on the low end for water fix this issue?

CCV is on the owner but a drain plug you guys could add, I'm adding one to my aFe intercooler soon.

Actually if you guys sold a kit for add-on I would gladly buy it.

Last edited by GSchretter; 11-20-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post
Wouldn't a CCV for oil and a drain plug on the low end for water fix this issue?

CCV is on the owner but a drain plug you guys could add, I'm adding one to my aFe intercooler soon.

I dont believe its caused by crack case condensation. Its all external humidity and temp vs the internal intercooler air temps and humidity. Its basically sweat on the inside of the intercooler. Someone correct me if Im wrong. Ive never had an intercooled vehicle do this until this truck. Its just something about the shape, size, and temps. Maybe a more efficient one like the Mishimoto might cure it. Its extremely hard if not impossible to duplicate in a controlled situation, like a dyno.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I dont believe its caused by crack case condensation. Its all external humidity and temp vs the internal intercooler air temps and humidity. Its basically sweat on the inside of the intercooler. Someone correct me if Im wrong. Ive never had an intercooled vehicle do this until this truck. Its just something about the shape, size, and temps. Maybe a more efficient one like the Mishimoto might cure it. Its extremely hard if not impossible to duplicate in a controlled situation, like a dyno.
My OEM one was caked with oil and water.

I had the white smoke from water this as well.

When I switch to aFe one which it looks about the same as this one it went away and I've check and there's no oil or water in my intercooler yet after 6 months.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Tyler! Upgrading the intercooler is on my list of things to do next year.

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post

Quote:
We chose not to include a drain plug on the intercooler as it could be a potential failure point. If you would like to install one yourself, it wouldn't be difficult. However, I will pass this info onto our R&D department to let them know there is interest in this option. Please let me know if you have any other comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 11-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Hey guys, wanted to let you know that I won't be active on the forums until Monday. I am headed home to Michigan for the holidays. I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving!

In the meantime, check out this picture I snagged of some awesome dyno testing we had going on in the shop! We have a cool video about the testing coming out soon, so keep an eye out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.