Intercooler & I/C Protection (Grilles) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler & I/C Protection (Grilles)

Hey Everyone,
Took another rock to my intercooler and its leaking horsepower all over the front of my truck... I will not stand for this!
Very mild build right now, H&S Mini Maxx, Straight exhaust (Gutted Stock), S&B Intake. Note: STOCK transmission, NO ARB head studs.
I need a solution to my intercooler fix:
  • I can try a repair, there's already one on it from the previous owner... don't know anything about repairing it
  • I can try to find a used one, so far not luck locally and they still want $300 for beat up used ones on line... no gaurantee either.
  • I can upgrade.There are LOTs of choices from various manufacurers. And no one makes it easy to compare, they all did their own testing and published different sorts of data. Below are the brands and approximate costs:
  • AFE $1521
  • Banks Techni-cooler $1091
  • BD Diesel $1316
  • CX Racing $750
  • Elite Diesel Engineering $1350
  • Mishimoto $1180
  • No Limit $1199
  • Spearco $1649
I'm leaning toward the upgrade but I have no idea what to go with? I tend to upgrade rather than replace as stock parts fail, but I don't need the top of the line intercooler for my final build goal, I just need something RELIABLE. Next few planned upgrades for my truck are ERG Delete w/ intake pipe, Head studs, Transmission/torque converter, turbo-back exhaust. I figure at that point, the upgraded intercooler would be a worthy mod... until then, its just a nice-to-have but not really needed or fully utilized.

I also want to protect my investment, my stock grill has been letting too much hwy debris (mostly stones from other vehicles) through to the important bits, hence the damage I/C. I don't want to go too flashy, and I don't want to spend a rediculous amount (RBP is out of the question). I'm a form-FOLLOWS-function kind of guy, I don't like spending $$ on bling unless it serves a purpose. I could track down some fine mesh and put it between the grill and the I/C but I did find a reasonably priced mesh grill from Grill Craft. What do you guys think? Is anyone using this or something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow, just found these guys, e-Auto Grilles... lots of choices in my price range... 2008 F350 @ E-Auto Grilles Anyone have experience with them?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll probably jinx myself by saying the following but the heck with it...
Im surprised I havent had this problem considering the amount of road debris thrown violently from everything around here, cant drive a block without chipping/cracking new windshield.... Anwyays, I havent but ive been thinking about a upgrade (gotta replace rad) so thanks for the price list!!

Ive not heard of quality issues with any of them, aFe/spearco/OEM/mishi... of course the non oem ones have their advantages over the oem. Just a case of bad luck for you! They arent cheap either eh, dang. Where are you located?? (just saw your GWN in sig)
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya, those prices make me cringe... I assume a rad would be similar... Why do you need a rad upgrade anyway? Lots of goodies under the hood? Are you having temp problems? FSJ is plenty cold in the winter, and nowhere near southern US temps in the summer... What's the issue?
Home for me is Calgary, work is Conklin AB. My truck's seen a lot if hwy... Just bad luck on the crack I guess... I'm really struggling to make a decision... Local shops shout AFE And Banks. No one I've talked to sounded like they've looked into it, some of these guys around here are way too willing to hand over $1500 for an AFE, there's no need for the dealers to know WHY the part they are selling is better/worse/different than any others out there...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Whats the cost on an OEM ? Maybe find one at a wreckers?

My rad has been leaking since august. Its the stock/oem piece of dog $hit. That new mishimoto is about $800 + shipping. Not bad actually, will be nice to not worry about a leaky rad.

And ya at $1000+ for intercooler that you wont take advantage of would be a waste! Lol @ leaking Horsepower all over front of truck. haha
Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New OEM I/C from ford parts.com. $602... I'll be looking for a used one from the wreckers before I go that route... But I think I'm looking more towards an upgrade...
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Vendor

That's some rotten luck, sorry to hear that!

I thought I'd jump in here to help answer any questions you might have about our products.

First, the price you have listed for our intercooler is MSRP, meaning you can find it for cheaper through one of our distributors! Also, if you are not aware, our intercooler has a bar and plate core, and cast end tanks, so it's much stronger than stock. It's all-aluminum construction also allows for more efficient heat dissipation. Our intercooler shows a 21% reduction in AITs and a 50% less pressure drop than stock.

Here's a link to our engineering report so you can see our testing data. http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...ing-Report.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions, as I would be happy to help!

Thanks,
Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.