2009 6.4l powerstroke upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 6.4l powerstroke upgrades?

I just bought a 2009 f250 with 160000 miles I have a few questions about it. The truck is bone stock as far as I know. What can I do to the truck to make it better ( muffler removing, dpf delete, egr delete) also what can I expect from the truck fuel mileage, any problems? any help or hints would be appreciated. thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxbig6.4 View Post
I just bought a 2009 f250 with 160000 miles I have a few questions about it. The truck is bone stock as far as I know. What can I do to the truck to make it better ( muffler removing, dpf delete, egr delete) also what can I expect from the truck fuel mileage, any problems? any help or hints would be appreciated. thanks for the help

Welcome, Read up on forum & general 6.4L discussion, thread by CountryAnggie ( 2 topic is his sticky so it's always there) its a great write up on how to tackle a lot of all around upgrades. Mpg gains will all depend on application/right foot ect. Im new so no help here, I just followed up throughout site & put it all (what's currently in my sig/rig ) to good use & have seen + gains so far. Good luck, Jayson.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrokiNDieseL For This Useful Post:
Kingranch dave (11-16-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would delete if I was you. I went with spartan which is one of the top 2 around. I found my tuner used for 750 on the spartan forum. It's a totally different truck tuned. But do your research before pulling the trigger on any upgrade.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM

Delete the dpf run either spartan or h&s delete tunes.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have a link to those charts??

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

OP
I haven't read the sticky that was referred to earlier cause I have been in this long before that was ever made. Find a tuner that can handle deleted DPFs and delete it. Do a CAI....I would recommend either aFe with 5r filter or No Limits. With that mileage, I would delete the EGR. If you want the best mileage and can resist the temptation of the skinny pedal, the hotter tunes will give you the best mileage. When looking at tuners I would consider trying to find one you can get custom tunes on so SCT or H&S. Spartans are pretty good canned tunes but you cant get custom tunes on it. The DD which is what Spartan uses is great for monitoring though. With that many un-deleted miles, your rockers are probably getting worn so if the cab ever has to come off, I would replace them. Finally your K16 (if it is the original) is probably getting weak so I would plan to replace it if the cab ever needs lifted. From there, it will depend on your goals and budget as to if additional mods are worth it.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
B585, I'm glad you are providing info pretty much exactly as the sticky has in it (except the sticky provides links for installation info).... Ok sarcasm aside, I'm sure you are very knowledgable (since you have been in the game so long) why not read thru the sticky and provide some constructive info in that (or PM me and I'll add it) so there is a centralized location for people to look at. Or better yet make a thread to sticky for what people should look for when getting a high mileage 6.4...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
B585, I'm glad you are providing info pretty much exactly as the sticky has in it (except the sticky provides links for installation info).... Ok sarcasm aside, I'm sure you are very knowledgable (since you have been in the game so long) why not read thru the sticky and provide some constructive info in that (or PM me and I'll add it) so there is a centralized location for people to look at. Or better yet make a thread to sticky for what people should look for when getting a high mileage 6.4...

I am not sure why you take offense to me not reading your sticky. It seems like our goals are the same (to help each other out). I believe that sticky is 15 pages long. I am sure it has a lot of useful info and maybe some day I will take the time to read through it all. My post was a cliff notes version meant to be helpful for the OP and anyone else who wanted to listen. If disagree with any of my comments you are more than welcome to debate them as that may prove useful to the OP, otherwise I don't see how it is helpful to make the post you did as a PM would have worked fine.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You are 100% correct. I apologize. I didn't mean for it to come across that way and I don't disagree with a word you said. (Sometimes I tend to get short after spending too much time with all my extended family).

I do however try my best to keep up with the sticky so that the first post in that thread contains all the information added from the 15+ pages and would love info from people who have been goin at this longer than I.

Again I apologize for the shortness earlier. Thanks for the help you have provided.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
You are 100% correct. I apologize. I didn't mean for it to come across that way and I don't disagree with a word you said. (Sometimes I tend to get short after spending too much time with all my extended family).

I do however try my best to keep up with the sticky so that the first post in that thread contains all the information added from the 15+ pages and would love info from people who have been goin at this longer than I.

Again I apologize for the shortness earlier. Thanks for the help you have provided.

That sounds good. I will let you know if I think I can add anything after I read it. I do think all newbs should read stickies like yours to help get a knowledge base. They tend to have a lot more info than any single thread. For what it is worth, I do think a sticky like yours is a good topic for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.