Simple Mod Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Simple Mod Questions

Hi guys,
I have an 08 f250.. looking to do a DPF delete, intake, and tune.
My 1st question is should i do a turbo back or dp back exhaust.
I read one post on here and it showed that the dp was very restricted...
I plan on going with a S&B intake..
However i'm pretty lost on the programmer. It's between Spartan, IDP, or H&S..

My friend has Spartan and he is running a 275 tune as his DD and my big problem is it shifts terrible. but the Dash Daq is the best IMO. I feel spartan is pretty good but they charge for everything and are expensive as heck.

H&S my big concern is since they got stopped by the EPA, can i still go on there website and can they build me a tune or will they be updating and tunes now. Basically i dont want to buy it and then not be able to use it very much. I no i like that it is shift on the fly but i'm not thrilled with the fact that it doesn't have a tow tune...

IDP- What i ran on my 6.0 and they were STRONG! Eric also told me on the phone that his new xtreme X is safe on the stock tranny.... My only worry is it's a 330 tune i don't want to break stuff.

Basically just looking for some help i want a truck that gets pretty good MPG, and is pretty powerful.
Also do you guys all think that an EGR delete is essential? i never did one on my 6.0 and it had 72,000 without a single issue?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I really enjoy my idp and Gearhead tunes on my sct. Any of the three you looked at are good tuners. All trucks are gonna shift pretty hard without traction bars. As far as exhaust I would do turbo back and an afe intake. The stock tranny on these trucks are superb so I wouldn't worry about it to much just the normal fluid up to temp before romping and stuff. I would do the egr delete whenever you got the funds the elbow and cac pipe are good ideas with it

Last edited by WoodBoy; 10-22-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Double post. ....
Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info.
I think I'm going to go with idp cause of how good my 6.0 was..
Also what are some good places to buy tract bars at? And can you them, I've seen guys using the tractor type but everyone says they make a bunch of noise?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 AM

I run Newton lifts bars but pmf and ouo make great bars too
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have heard that the DP change is not as significant as you would think. I opted to just do the DP back, straight 5 inch no muffler. Sounds and runs great.

I have the KEM 345 tune and the shifts are great. After reading around I learned that the KEM is a good choice for the street.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Your hearing and my gauges that read differences are two different things. Im not sure why people keep opting to refer people to just do the dp back.

There is a difference in EGTs and a small amount in backpressure.

The only reason to not do a turbo back is if you want to return to stock for warranty as the stock dp is going to have to be cut in half to remove unless you pull the cab or move over the tranny
Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey man I am not gonna argue, didn't know your gauges equate to a dyno.

My hearing came from actual people (experience), not most peoples' hearing, "the internet"

I do agree on the EGTs (so if that is what you are after go for it) but 0.5" of an inch will give most daily driver enthusiasts a very negligible if even noticeable power gain.

But hey man this is 'merica, if you wanna go through the hoops of doing a DP, have at it!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 PM

down pipes are worth it the stock one is double wall... results in a 2.5 in inside pipe diameter or smaller = very restrictive.!!!!!! get a downpipe!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New to the forum & have a question

Hi all, I am new to this forum, and have a 2010 F250 Lariat and am looking to add an Edge Juice w/Attitude. Does anyone here have any personal experience with this unit? Also, are there any additional; basic mods that you suggest to mainly improve fuel economy. I have read SOOO many different sites and posts that my head is starting to spin. Just tired of only getting 12 mpg in town and sometimes 15 on the highway (EMPTY)! Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.