Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dead cylinder/low compression guys come on in

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  2010KR350 
#1 ·
Alright guys, latley my 2010 with mods in the sig 57k miles has developed that "thop thop thop" sound at idle. I know that is somewhat normal for these trucks but it seems a bit excessive. I am trying to diagnose it..

No burnt oil
No white smoke
No extra oil
No miss
No power loss
No hard start

I may be over thinking it but you can even here it when throttling. Noticed a couple days after the EGR delete. Hear it through the filter and tail pipe through the cab. Doesn't do it until it has been warmed up for 10 or so miles. The harder/longer the drives the louder it is. I know you lose compression once warmed up. Trying to avoid doing a compression test or going to the dealer.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I will when I get home. May have to email it as I only have a phone and I pad at home. Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
If anything it sounds like you would have a bent pushrod. Not a dead cylinder

#6 ·
I thought pushrods too but it only does it when it's warmed up. Do you guys normally do valve adjustment on these fords? Almost maybe once hot an exhaust valve or rocker is doing its expansion and staying open to long. I will have to try the vid tomorrow. Thanks for the input

#7 ·
There is no valve adjustment. Have you tried scanning for codes? We need a video or something

#8 ·
Thats good to hear. Sorry guys coming from a cummins; trying to figure out their differences. So with no valve adjustment I could pull the rockers and rods out this weekend and inspect... and just put them back in and tourque the rockers. Can you get the push rods on 7 and 8 out with cab on?

No codes at all. I will get a video today hopefully.

#9 ·
Yes rockers and pushrods can be done cab on.

#10 ·
Well guys I may have solved the issue. I noticed a little gray/black smoke. Probably white with black (looks gray mixed) on medium take offs. Thought maybe an injector was sticking. Ran a heafty amount of diesel clean through it last night and it runs/sounds a lot better. Hopefully it was just a sticky injector not atomizing. We will see.

#11 ·
That's awesome! Maybe it was bad diesel? Keep us posted if that fixed it for good! :thumb:

#12 ·
Well ran the tank to empty and the sound somewhat came back. Gave it another heafty diesel klean shot on half a tank and I dont want to say it but I think it is smotthing out. Lokks like maybe an injector is on its way out.

#14 ·
Luckily when I bought the truck from the dealer I got the certified pre-owned warranty which covers me to 100k or 2017!

#17 ·
Well, I was browsing youtube today and found a video that has the same sound somewhat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.