New Member: EGR/Tune/DPF - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New Member: EGR/Tune/DPF

Hey Guys, first time poster here and first time diesel owner, though I have many turbo builds and such on gas motors both hot rods and imports.

I just bought a 2008 F350 XLT Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 w/Auto that has ~280K miles. 1 owner and all the maintenance done to a T from one dealer. The truck is a virgin, no aftermarket anything on it. The reason for purchase is, I am remodeling my house and I needed another truck again, I wanted a 4x4 for winter, and I will have to haul a car cross country a few times a year and wanted room and power. I am not out to race it, or get a crazy lift and such. (I did that with my last truck). I want reliability, and a bit more ponies.

From what I have read (have not had much time to read up) the first thing I want to do is rid the EGR all together to prevent an engine loss. Where I live I do not have to worry about anything emissions related for inspections.

My question to you all with experience is, I want to do the EGR and DPF all at the same time. I have some questions though:

EGR delete kit with intake elbow (I have read the Sinister one is not that great of a fit) so is Flo-Pro better and that is what I should get?

DPF delete would just involve a turbo back, I plan to use a 4" DP and mate it with a 5" straight through as I heard the tone of is it much nicer than a all 4". However, on reading up... it states I would need to weld in to the pipe for the waste gate? I am fine with whatever fab is needed as I tig SS and aluminum all the time. Is there any "gotchas" doing this? Will I need sensor bungs and such?

With the EGR delete, seems I need a tuner that can wipe that code and or disable it? But those are no longer for sale and you must buy used?

Any other things I should do to make this a bit more bullet proof for my use case?

Thanks again in advance for any guidance/input. The truck thus far is great and I love it. I cannot believe I sold my truck in the first place, this makes truck 4... I plan on keeping this one forever. (Will not get driven a ton).

Peace-Trav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The DPF is worse for your engine than the EGR, although they're both bad, so get 'em out of there.

Depending on which tuner you get you may or may not need bungs. I have a Mini Maxx, so I don't have bungs. There are still several delete capable tuners that are available new, and some non-delete tuners will support custom tuning that allows deletes. You have to be careful buying a used tuner, since many of them are VIN-locked to the vehicle. The process for unlocking is different for each manufacturer, and not all sellers know what they're doing, and some will just plain lie about it.

You don't need a wastegate, so don't worry about that. If you did for some reason want a wastegate, there are downpipes available for that purpose. Check with the wastegate manufacturer, they probably sell them. Any turbo-back exhaust will work for you, just pick one that has the bungs (or not) that your tuner requires.

I can't comment on the sinister elbow, but I have a Flo-Pro elbow, and it fit perfectly. Whatever you do, I'd definitely get the elbow. Removing the EGR completely really cleans up the engine compartment in addition to flowing better. I also have a Flo-Pro EGR delete kit, and it works perfectly too.

Removing the exhaust is relatively easy and straightforward, it'll probably take you around 2 hours to swap them out. You'll need a sawzall and some wrenches.

Removing the EGR with the cab on is very difficult and time consuming, so plan ahead. It takes a good selection of tools, but nothing too unusual. In my experience it takes about 5-6 hours. Some people have done it in about 4, but it takes some people 12 hours or more. It's very difficult, trust me. And the phrase "very difficult" is an understatement.

Order everything you need at one time, you'll probably get a package deal on it if it's all from one vendor. Install your tuner with a DPF-on tune to make sure your truck likes it, then do the exhaust. Wait a while until you gear up for the EGR, and once that's done flush all the old coolant out really well and replace with Cat EC-1 rated coolant, like Cat ELC. Then you might want to take a couple days to recover. After that you can enjoy your much more reliable truck.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks B, that pretty much answers all the grey I had going on in my head. I can't believe people would keep the DPF... unless you like fuel in your oil. Just stupid. Newer trucks have burners now and do not use fuel at all, and or put an injector into the filter, so at least they are realizing how dumb this was.

How do you like your Mini Maxx?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Newer trucks are definitely designed to better handle a DPF. They still have problems, but not nearly as many.

I bought my Mini Maxx before the big EPA thing, but I love it. I have gearhead tunes, which make it even better. Gearhead can tune the new "street" tuners too.

I bought the Mini Maxx mainly because of the shift on the fly feature, which is useful since I tow a lot. I also think the tunes and shifting are better than the others.

Another thing that's great about it is the monitoring, but there are other options for that. But it's nice knowing exactly what your engine is doing, and the ability to read and clear codes is really nice too. Those features aren't exclusive to the Mini Maxx, but they're really nice.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 AM

Just wanted to let ya know, I ended up ordering the following from Rudy's:

I was told from Eric at Rudy's to keep the OEM DP as he said he will not see any gain... I have no plans to sell it, so having a turbo back with cutting the OEM pipe out would not bother me, but for now, I am keeping the OEM DP.

5" DP back Flo-Pro SS exhaust, straight pipe with no bungs.
MiniMaxx Race
Flo-Pro EGR delete with elbow
6" SS Tip
S&B Oil Intake
(I did not buy a coolant filter, more research showed it was not needed, along with the guys at Rudy's) Which he could have sold me... great guys to talk to and we worked out a heck of a deal.

So excited to get rid of the cat and the dpf... I get 12.5 MPG and it has regen'd twice in under 800 miles.

Also ordered a billet 2" front leveling kit to get it standing straight.

Also have 4 gallons of Rotella T6, new oil filter, fuel filters and coolant to go in when I install all of this. I will get more aggressive with mods down the road. It came with brand new Continental tires, so no lift until those are ready to be replaced.

Thanks again! Peace- Trav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.