EBP relocate after EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBP relocate after EGR delete

Quick thread to hopefully help someone else out.

Did a full EGR and cooler delete about a year ago. Here recently I started hearing a fairly loud odd noise under the hood only under certain load conditions, at pretty much any speed. ANd I could the vibration in the gas pedal only, but not steering wheel or Brake. Also noticed I had more smoke when starting from a stop. Initially I thought it was the Turbo.

Quick inspection revealed soot all over the back drivers corner of the Firewall, and I realized that the bellows on the remaining former EGR pipe was leaking. The only purpose of this pipe was for the EBP sensor. I was not about to pay to replace this pipe, only to have the same problem- a relocate was in store. I was able to use the OEM tube and wiring, quite easily really.

Lifting the cab was required(in my opinion) and not that hard. I have done this numerous times now and have discovered that tilting the cab slightly for engine access requires nothing more then removing cab bolts leaving the rear two in, but loose. NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE DISCONNECTED!! This allows about 4 inches of tilt from the front, but no more. Follow along-

1. Remove cab bolts, leave back two in place, but loose.

Jack front of cab from the Radiator support frame on the bottom. This looks unsafe, but I used the floor jack as a base. I used a 2x4 across the frame, then jacked the Bottle jack up high enough to make contact, then used the bottle jack to actually lift the cab. Do Not use the floor jack to lift, as the position of the platform shifts and becomes unstable. Note the yellow circle in the picture where the cab support is.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. This was enough for me to unbolt the pipe, and remove it in one piece, albeit it was a very very tight fit. Do not take the easy way out and lift the cab more without disconnecting CAC pipes first. No more then 4" max as measured at cab mounting tab circled in yellow.

3. Removed Block off plate and drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT threads. Used a pipe to #5 JIC 90. Be sure to drill toward bottom of block off plate. This allows use of OEM tube without causing inference issues. In fact it is a perfect fit. Picture is with cab still lifted.

[IMG][/IMG]

4. Make new support. I used a piece of steel strap, about 5 inches long, made a bend and drilled a couple holes to support the tube right from the OEM mounting point.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bottom of bracket at original mounting point-
[IMG][/IMG]

5. All done. Cab lowered back in place. Problem solved permanently!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very nice write up . I cant do this just yet have to find somewhere to register my truck without emissions testing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ebp sensor relocate, gas pedal vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.