Is a Tuner really worth $1500.00 to me? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is a Tuner really worth $1500.00 to me?

maybe I should restate my question and explain my situation.....

I just bought a 2009 F250 with 6.4 with only 71000 mile on it. It appears to be pretty stock. I'm 57, and have no plans for racing or off road running. My plan for this truck is to have it pull a future 5th wheel. This is all part of my retirement plan. With the fact that I would only be using the tuner for increasing torque for hauling and for possible fuel econony is it really worth me dropping over $1000.00 + for a tuner?

With that said I do plan on updating the truck with a CAI (next month) and after a few years deleting the DPF and maybe the EGR. I plan on a tuner purchase after the CAI and before the end of the year. I was looking at the SCT SF3 or even a Bully Dog if it is available with the DPF delete.

Looking for a little advice on this subject.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If my retirement plan included setting out on the open road I would want my truck to be VERY reliable. That would include, first and foremost, deleting the DPF and EGR. Although a lot of people delete for the power the reality is the real benefits of deleting are the increased reliability.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Not really any sense in putting the CAI on before a tuner/exhaust. If you don't plan on buying a quality tuner (H&S Offroad, SCT 9625OR or 3015R (SCT Offroad versions), or Spartan) then you can look into the DPF-R 4.0. Don't waste your money on a bullydog, edge, banks, etc.. I would do the programmer and exhaust before the intake.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 AM

I'm 59 look at my signature, this is what I did to pull my 35TMS GrandJunction which weighs over 14,500 #s I get around 13/14 towing, can't tell you what it was before deleting & tuning because I tuned it when it had less then a 1000 miles, spent the $$$ to make it dependable, and have had only 1 issue a front seal the dealer replaced under warranty, so if I was to do it again..... I would.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM

I would have a different truck for constantly hauling a big 5'er. 6.4's are too probe to cracking pistons for my taste
Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenn View Post
I'm 59 look at my signature, this is what I did to pull my 35TMS GrandJunction which weighs over 14,500 #s I get around 13/14 towing, can't tell you what it was before deleting & tuning because I tuned it when it had less then a 1000 miles, spent the $$$ to make it dependable, and have had only 1 issue a front seal the dealer replaced under warranty, so if I was to do it again..... I would.
I get 13/14 unloaded daily driving?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM

WoodBoy take your foot out of it 18/19 should be about normal, I run the 275 for DD and get 18/19.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenn View Post
WoodBoy take your foot out of it 18/19 should be about normal, I run the 275 for DD and get 18/19.
So you get around 465-500 miles out of a tank of fuel (Im estimating you putting around 26 gallons when you fill up)? I have 35s and I drive like a granny. I hand calculate every tank. Even though my dash will tell me I am getting 17 or so, it lies
Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM

My dash lies Big Time normally says about 22/23, my tank is 38 gallons, I noticed you run gearhead, when I run my gearhead tunes I normally lose about 2 mpg, very nice tunes but I have run many tunes in this truck and the 275 Spartan tune does the best for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 PM

I truly think every truck is different. I get 17 on the highway with 37s. I had a buddy travel with me once on the highway he was in 6.4 and mine was cheaper between fillups. His was completely stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.