Up Pipes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up Pipes

Time has come to replace the up pipes. I have a leak in the passenger pipe at the flex. I have heard this is pretty common.

I want to make sure I don't have to do this again. I see that there are quite a few companies that make aftermarket up pipes. I plan on deleting the EGR at the same time so I would like an up pipe without the EGR crossover. What makes the RCD pipe so much more expensive than the Rudy's pipe? Only planning on doing EGR/DPF delete, exhaust, CAI, and tune.

Do I need to step up to the River City up pipes?

On the same subject; I am planning on lifting the cab to do this. Looking at head studs and gaskets while I am in there. Anything else I should do? Don't have a crazy budget so please keep that in mind.

Does the Batmowheel require tuning a Spartan or H&S can't provide? Is the Batmowheel a pretty easy mod with the cab off? Down pipe to complement the exhaust?

Just looking for overall advice. I have searched the threads and a lot of cab off builds are overkill for me. I am looking for a bullet proof 550 HP engine.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also check out dark horse diesel for the up pipes. They make nice ones for a reasonable price. I also thought about doing a batmowheel. I decided to step up to a 71mm lp turbo. If you are interested in a batmowheel I have one that I would be willing to sale for a good price.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

If you are going to do the EGR delete. I would recommend doing away with the drivers up pipe all together to not have to ever worry about that again. Heres what i did.Obviously its a different situation, but it gives you an idea of something different to do with the drivers side and the EBP sensor bung thats on the drivers side.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

6.4L Up-pipe delete & EBP relocation
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm planning a cab off this winter the same as you & have been looking at doing Exhaust manifolds & up pipes.
I believe the Rudys up pipes are stock material pipes that they rebuild with custom flexible bellows, where as the RCD up pipes are custom built from scratch from heavy wall 304 stainless steel.
There are a lot of choices out there for manifolds & up pipes,
I like the Steed speed manifolds but he is having some production difficulties & his manifolds for the 6.4 are all on back order. These also require custom built up pipes which are available thru Rudys or Elite. Very nice pieces but pricey.
RCD makes some really fine looking 304 stainless manifolds for the 6.4. These will accept stock up pipes or their previously mentioned 304 Stainless Up pipes. These go for about the same $$ as the Steed speed stuff.
There is a Stainless log style manifold for the 6.4 available thru Rudys, but I don't know who makes them or what up pipes fit. Rudy's also offers a ported & coated 6.4 manifold but I haven't seen many comments on these either.
I will have to take a look at the Dark horse stuff, thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Premium Member

6.0 manifolds are also a good option and gets rid of the pipe 90 degree bend that has a tendency to blow out
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey View Post
6.0 manifolds are also a good option and gets rid of the pipe 90 degree bend that has a tendency to blow out
^^ This in my opinion is the best option along with custom up pipes. You can find them cheap from the 6.0 guys. And they seem to flow better than 6.4 manifolds. This is the route I am going. There are plenty of high powered truck using 6.0 manifolds.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all of the info guys. Time to start looking for some 6.0 manifolds it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.