Trying to understand EBP. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to understand EBP.

I am doing a EGR delete tomorrow and would like someone to explain EBP. I will not be installing a waste gate because I run 210 and lower tunes, but I do tow heavy. Can someone explain to me what I should be looking for. I can monitor it on my Spartan but not sure what to look for.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You want to try and stay away from above around 70psi + atmospheric pressure. So if you are at sea level like me, you want to try not to see backpressure above 84.7psi. But you have absolutely no worries especially on those tunes. I would monitor other things besides backpressure
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

I just started monitoring EBP from reading up through threads & put together that EGT's & EBP are the killer when things raise too high(temps,psi)? Hesitant to also add EGR myself b/c you do seem to hear the need for waste/blow off(due to boost psi your pulling?) & others say its not needed... New to this diesel world but trying to study the hell outta what's all over this forum & learn how to take care of my unleashed beast. Sure wish my mini maxx recorded all info & not just what's on screen monitor, then again I'm learning...
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM

EGT's are what make power. On quarter mile passes and pulls I wouldn't be too concerned about EGT's. On the other hand when towing or pulling up a grade for a mile or 3 then is the time to be concerned about sustained EGTs. Also, with the typical intake, tune, exhaust, a wastegate is not needed 90% of the time.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Crap I am really on the fence now.... I am supposed to do this delete tomorrow, but am concerned that I need my coolers to keep my EBP in check while towing.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Be less concerned about ebp and more concerned what those coolers are doing to the life of your engine. Since deleted my oil stays clean on the dip stick for a couple thousand km. not to mention what it does mixed with CCV in your intake
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM

I agree with the above. Be more concerned with what it does to your motor and the crap it makes in your intake. In a couple of weeks I will be pulling off my intake manifold. I will try and get pics of what it looks like. The CCV and egr were ran for about 60,000 miles.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyS View Post
Crap I am really on the fence now.... I am supposed to do this delete tomorrow, but am concerned that I need my coolers to keep my EBP in check while towing.
Who/Where are you getting this information to even be concerned about EBP????? Especially towing or with a small tune.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM

I did the EGR delete about a two years ago and I use my truck for nothing but heavy towing (43 foot long toyhauler). Running the Spartan 210 tow tune (monitoring EBP) and never had a concern even towing thru mountains. Trans temp has been my biggest problem actually.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
I did the EGR delete about a two years ago and I use my truck for nothing but heavy towing (43 foot long toyhauler). Running the Spartan 210 tow tune (monitoring EBP) and never had a concern even towing thru mountains. Trans temp has been my biggest problem actually.
My tranny also gets hot in the hills..What should i look for hen monitoring EBP??

The info I have been getting is just off of Ford diesel forums! Best place I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.