Broken Lower Fuel Filter Drain Lever - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken Lower Fuel Filter Drain Lever

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I religiously change both fuel filters every 10,000 miles and try to remember to drain fuel from lower fuel filter inbetween. Over the years I've owned my 08 F250 6.4 the plastic fuel drain lever has gotten progressively harder to move and yesterday the darn thing broke off at the base...fortunately in the closed position. The Dealer says 1 hour of labor and $190 part so that's not gonna work either.

I've been unable to locate the proper part to do the job myself so I'm asking the group here for help. There appears to be a small plate on the side of the filter housing with 3 torx type screws. I'm not sure if just the lever can be changed out of if the entire lower fuel filter housing has to be replaced?

I'm not a mechanic type but if its no harder than changing filters and bathing in diesel i'm up for the job!

Thanks in advance.

Randy in Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Shoulda searched first. Answered my own question. Part is 8C3Z-9A214-B.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I pulled the whole lift pump off when I fixed mine. There will be a waxy buildup inside. If you're going to fix it right, just buy the entire manifold cover. This includes the drain valve. Then get yourself some plastic quick disconnects for the fuel lines. Unbolt the whole thing and pull it apart. Clean it well and put the new manifold cover on. It should be good for another 100k+ miles.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:27 AM

expirobo

asking a favor....could you give a nuts and bolts description on how to get the pump out....how many plastic quick connects...what size.. where to buy.. any cutting to do. are the pipes to the pump from tank and to engine steel........ would help me a lot.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 AM

I'm talking about the pump underneath the driver door on the frame rail.
1. Shut off engine.
2. Get your SAE and METRIC socket set, throw a piece of cardboard or what have you down on the ground and crawl under.
3. Using the cheap Autozone/Oreillys/Etc fuel line quick disconnect tool, disconnect the four fuel line connections by sliding them around the fuel line and into the coupling. Push them in well to release the spring and pull the fuel line out. This may be easier on some than others. Be prepared to get a little bit of fuel on you. An empty tank is better than a full fuel tank for this job.
4. Locate the 3 nuts on the frame that hold the pump on. Loosen and remove the pump. Might take a bit of finesse to twist it out. Don't forget to remove the electrical connections before removing the pump.

Once the pump is out, there are three or four torque screws that hold the cover on. Remove that and fuel filter from the housing. It might be best to crack open the fuel filter cap before you pull the pump since they stick pretty good sometimes and can be hard to do while holding the pump in hand. Open the pump up and spray clean with carb cleaner and a rag. Use compressed air to flush out all final debris. Leave absolutely nothing, even a spec of dirt, inside to minimize contaminating the fuel system.

Install is reverse. After install is complete, cycle ignition key 10 times, each time waiting for the fuel pump to shut off. This will prime the system and remove the air bubbles.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 AM

thanks man...info really appreciated....darn...now i'm thinking airdog2 while I got it out!!.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 AM

^^ airdog 2 is a good idea for the filtration and water separation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.