Installing Minimax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing Minimax

I have just completed the first half of my truck makeover and plan on finishing up tomorrow but have a few questions. I just did a coolant flush, installed coolant filter, egr delete and cold air intake. Tomorrow comes the new down pipe, 5 inch exhaust and mini max.

I'm confused with the minimax though. Does it come with the tunes already preloaded or do I need to hook it up to the computer to put the tunes on it? I've also read to hook it up to the truck in stock form first to make sure it takes. Will it matter that I did the egr delete? Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get the truck rolling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Couch warmer

You'll need to pull the SD card out of the MM and hook up to your computer to get the latest updates on your tuner. Yes, the tunes are already loaded in the MM.

My MM gave me errors when I tried to hook it up to my truck. I had to update it before it worked.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mini max I know is a boat - built one in 1961 - if the mini max tuner works like the boat, hold your hat and hang on, it will go
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't forget once you update the SD card and plug it back in, you have to go to the menu on the mini and select INSTALL UPDATES before you install tunes. After that you can select INSTALL TUNES or download, don't remember which specific wording they use. You should also follow the suggested tranny relearn procedure, although some guys say it will do it on it's own. Expect rough shifting, defuels, and strange acting things to happen for the first few days until the truck begins to figure itself out. Best mileage will be form HD300, HOT. That's my everyday driving tune and I'm not deleted.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, all helpful info that I did not know. My tuner is one of the newer ones with the unlock code so ill have to unlock it first I assume. Should I change or set the defuel settings differently than what comes standard? I'm not looking to kill the truck or run it hard, just make it last longer and have better efficiency.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojanman88 View Post
Thanks guys, all helpful info that I did not know. My tuner is one of the newer ones with the unlock code so ill have to unlock it first I assume. Should I change or set the defuel settings differently than what comes standard? I'm not looking to kill the truck or run it hard, just make it last longer and have better efficiency.
You can set refuel after install - they don't have to be set during the install process but the trans tune selection does

Set defuel on whatever you are comfortable with.

I think I am:

Cold coolant - 170
Hot coolant - 220
Boost - 40
Old 08-28-2013, 03:56 AM

What they said ^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
Best mileage will be form HD300, HOT. That's my everyday driving tune and I'm not deleted.
Sorry, not to hijack, but you are running the hot tunes with your dpf still installed????
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorboy View Post
What they said ^^^^^

Sorry, not to hijack, but you are running the hot tunes with your dpf still installed????
You can't run the hd300 tunes with the dpf installed. It won't give you that option unless you select dpf removed.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojanman88 View Post
Depends where you got it. If it was from Rudy's Diesel, they unlock it for you. Just remember, install the Mini Maxx FIRST. Install it with DPF on tunes to verify it will work. Also, go to HS's website and download the auto updater. It's kind of a clunky piece of software but it works. It will auto update everything and be ready to go once you get it in your truck.

Also, after install DPF ON tunes and taking it for a test drive, shut the truck off and remove the DPF etc. Then install the DPF off flash. It's the same exact process as the first time except that it will ask if your emissions are on and you select no.

If you don't follow this procedure and take your DPF off only to find it can't flash your ECM due to some update issue, you have to reinstall your DPF to drive the truck. Also, never install the DPF OFF tunes with the dpf on since you need to start your truck after the flash. It will cause errors and ECM codes.

Also, don't stand too close to the exhaust once you take the DPF off, the flow might blow your head off!

Last edited by Expirobo; 08-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM

and use the manual updater. the auto updater is a POS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.