power steering pump whining after lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
power steering pump whining after lift

installed a 3" front and 2" rear lift last week, didn't really mess up my alignment.. maybe a hair and then I had to make the steering wheel straight again, but everything is fix except the axle being shifted to the passenger side one inch, which I'm waiting for the Adjustable track bar to fix...

The problem is that now my Power steering pump is whining, even while going straight, it's not real loud but you can def hear it especially when you get the RPM's up. And now when I turn the wheel to the left, my ABS light comes on, and then when I straighten it back out or turn to the right, the ABS light will go back off.. I'm guessing I have a bad connection some where. I was doing some research on the Power steering issue and I read that the steering pump and the Brakes are linked together some how due to the Hydro Boost, and if thats the case maybe there is one issue that's causing all this to happen.. but I'm stumped because I didn't touch anything having to do with the power steering... any idea's would be greatly appreciated. thanks

-Josh

Last edited by countryboy73703; 08-19-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Typo's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well comically, this 6.4 was my first Ford that the power steering pump didn't whine. Usually, they are super annoying!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expirobo View Post
Well comically, this 6.4 was my first Ford that the power steering pump didn't whine. Usually, they are super annoying!
well don't jynx it.. ha well mine was quiet.. then I installed the lift, and then it whined.. I don't get it.. just coincedence? I don't mind replacing the pump since it's not that expensive but I want to make sure it's not something else cause this issue..
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Maybe try flushing the power steering system. It cant hurt and maybe will fix it.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Hmm... Well.. It just seems weird that it only started doing it after the lift.. Is there a better way to flush it with out having to siphon it out?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM

This is how I did it and it worked well.

Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com
Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
This is how I did it and it worked well.

Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com
I did the flush as per the directions. the fluid was dirty, how ever I 'seemed' to have reduced the whining so a minimum, how ever this morning when I started her up, she was whining like before, so it didn't help the whining issue... I really feel like this is being caused because of something, and not because it's just a ford steering pump... I never had any noise coming from it period, until the change in suspension... if there was a strain on the pit man arm (factory arm) could that cause it? what about if the axle is shifted (waiting on adj. track bar) over an inch? this is all good info, I just feel like there is something more that I"m not seeing... and weird enough now that I think about it, if I remember correctly before I recentered my steering wheel it didn't whine.. and then after I centered it, it started to whine...
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM

Well if you be careful while doing this, you can always jack of the front end and remove the load on the tires and suspension. Then fire it up and see if you reduce the noise. If it's caused by bad geometry in the new lift, relieving the stress should reduce the power needed from the power steering.

Might just get under there and see what's up. If things are off, there might be tension being applied somewhere in your steering linkage and that would cause the pump to while possible.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Well that's what I'm thinking but I don't think anything is off... My ABS light comes on when I lock left but then goes away when I straighten out or turn right... And the pump whines the same regardless if I'm straight or turning, low speed or high speed... It only changes with the engine RPM's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.