Up pipe cracked. Looking to DPF delete at same time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up pipe cracked. Looking to DPF delete at same time

Looking for some advice here. My 2008 F250 6.4L has a cracked up pipe. Everything is currently stock on the truck now. 64k miles.

A trusted mechanic I found will do the replacement for $1500 in labor. I figure I should get the upgraded up pipes from Rudy's which aren't much more than stock OEM.

Been looking to do a full DPF & EGR Delete anyway. I am not interested in crazy racing tunes. I need to stay on a budget here. I am looking at the GearBox Z which I can pick up for about $400. I will get a simple race pipe for around $165 and the EGR delete kit for about $150.

Mechanic said he will do the EGR delete for me while he has the truck, for no extra above the $1500. He said it's a 14 hour job to drop the tranny to remove up pipes. (I will install the new race pipe as mechanic said that's one thing he would prefer not to do -- EPA regulations. Blah blah).

1. Does this sound reasonable?
2. If I already have a broken up pipe, should that be removed as well instead of replaced? I have read some threads where guys do away with an up pipe while deleting the EGR coolers. But I really don't understand this. I figure the up pipe is a necessary component.
3. Any other thoughts or suggestions of what else I might be missing here are welcome.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would recommend the upgraded up pipes from either rudys or darkhorse diesel. You cannot delete the up pipes however you can delete the egr crossover pipe once you get rid of the coolers. Darkhorse diesel can make you the upgraded up pipes without the egr provision.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 AM

There are 3 up pipes on the truck. 2 of them run from the exhaust manifolds to the turbos, the other one branches off one of those and feeds the EGR. This is the one that people remove.

Which up pipe is cracked? If it's the one that feeds the EGR, once there's no EGR there's not much of a need for that pipe. The only thing on it (other than the EGR, obviously) is the EBP sensor and tube. That can be relocated relatively easily to the other up pile.

If it's one of the two main up pipes, you can't do without those, and they'll need to be replaced. If it's one of those you should probably put some better ones on, as they're prone to failure. This might be a job to hand off to someone like your guy, since it involves either lifting the cab or dropping the transmission.

You can do the EGR and up pipe removal yourself if you have the tools and time, and can follow directions. Then you could take part of that $1500 and buy a full exhaust instead of just a delete pipe. I did my EGR in about 6 hours, the up pipe at a separate time in about 5 hours, and turbo-back exhaust in about 2 hours.

It's a little ironic that your mechanic is willing to remove your EGR but not your DPF, citing EPA regulations, since they're both emissions components. But it's his shop, not mine.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM

The pipe that is cracked is the passenger side. Which I gather is the one that feeds the turbos. But whether I buy from Ford or buy from Rudy's, etc, they are sold as a set of 2
So he wants to just replace both. As for the 3rd that feeds the lower EGR cooler, I thought that was the same as the driver side up pipe. Doesn't matter because I think the coolers are all staying on. When I said he's willing to do those, what he is going to do is install the blocking plates kit. To my understanding he is not completely removing the coolers. Perhaps that is why he is willing to do that.

Does $1500 & 14 hours sound about right to change the up pipes considering he has to remove the trans.. (He prefers that over the cab off option).
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM

Where is the passenger side up pipe cracked? The crossover pipe is on the passenger side. It branches off the passenger up pipe and crosses over to the horizontal egr cooler on the drivers side. Can you post a picture of where its cracked? If you are sticking with the egr coolers you have to replace the up pipe. You can only delete the crossover pipe if you remove the coolers.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM

Can't tell exactly where it is cracked (leaking). Just every time it goes into regen the black smoke billows out of there like crazy. Been driving this way for a while too and the area back there by the fire wall is pretty sooted up. I'm not home right now to take a picture. Thanks for the help in explain how it feeds that cooler. I was not aware of that. You really can't see much back there with everything entact.

Maybe if I crawl underneath I will be able to see where the exhaust is leaking from. But it really is only bad during regen. If you know of a site that has a schematic of these pipes, please steer me to it. I would love to get a better visual of this area.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 AM

Here is a picture of how the up pipes are routed.

Last edited by 04hdfatboy; 04-23-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 AM

That makes it much more clear. thank you. From the top of the engine bay, I can't see both those pipes on the driver side. going to reach in there tonight and see if I can feel what this picture shows. And will report back if I have a more accurate decription of where my crack on passenger pipe is.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM

You guys have been a huge help in getting me to understand this. I decided I am going to do away with the coolers all together. It just seems cleaner and more complete way of doing things.... Remember I still have to have my "necessary" up pipes replaced. Which now leaves me to decide, when I place the order at Rudy's:

1. Should I buy the the Up pipes without the EGR provision?
2. Should I just get with the EGR provision and just use the blocking plate to cap it off?

If I go with option 1, then where would I install the Back pressure sensor?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
You guys have been a huge help in getting me to understand this. I decided I am going to do away with the coolers all together. It just seems cleaner and more complete way of doing things.... Remember I still have to have my "necessary" up pipes replaced. Which now leaves me to decide, when I place the order at Rudy's:

1. Should I buy the the Up pipes without the EGR provision?
2. Should I just get with the EGR provision and just use the blocking plate to cap it off?

If I go with option 1, then where would I install the Back pressure sensor?
If you are getting rid of the coolers I would go with option 1. If you go with darkhorse diesel up pipes they already have the up pipe tapped for the ebp tube. I am sure Rudy's do also but I am not sure. I am going with the up pipes that don't have the egr provision. The only way the egr provision would be useful is if you plan on adding a wastegate down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.