CCV mod, tie into exhaust, catch can or atmoshere? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CCV mod, tie into exhaust, catch can or atmoshere?

I'm going to be doing a CCV mod on my '08 F-350 after I figure out which kit I want. The next question is should I tie it into the exhaust, use a catch can or let it vent into the atmosphere? What are most of you guys doing for those of you guys that have done this mod? What are the advantages and disadvantages between each other? I like the idea of tying into the exhaust with a 45 degree bung but afraid that it will add back pressure and where at on your exhaust pipe do you weld the bung to? What are your guys thought on this and Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've seen, built and helped install every form of CCV mod. A fair amount of guys just run a hose to somewhere back of the cab which can, on some trucks, produce some smoke, oil drips and stink. Care must be taken to not have any low spots that can collect moisture and freeze. Building your own is fairly easy as long as you don't create any backpressure (I can email you some picks of the one I made if you want. I can't post pics for some reason anymore). I've built my own but replaced it with a larger Raycor CCV filter which has an indicator for when the filter is getting plugged and also has an electric warmer for real cold weather operation. Some guys that just use a hose vented to the atmosphere have noticed that their engine leaks oil a little more. I've also seen one put into the exhaust downstream from the muffler with a 1" tube with the end cut at a 45 degree angle and the tube installed at a 45 degree angle which seemed to work well. IMO best way to go is a better CCV canister routed back to the intake so that there is always a slight vacuum on the system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I vented mine to atmosphere. I ran it across the top of the motor, down the area where the EGR coolers used to be and then in behind my front number. The fan seems to keep all the smoke and smell away. I did a fairly long tow a couple weeks ago an the truck was working pretty hard. I crawled underneath and could see the smoke coming out of the hose but when I popped my head back up there was no smoke or smell at the front of the truck. Works well for me. Even in the winter I don't see any smoke unless I crawl underneath.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 PM

I ran my hose along firewall back towards air filter and stuck end of hose in a coffee mug wedged between firewall/air filter housing area. The fumes go right back into intake and no dripage on driveway or truck.... Kind of crude but does the trick.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM

I ran mine down to the frame rail and back to 90 from my exhaust elbow for my stack, then put in a hard elbow in the ccv hose and over to the exhaust where I tacked a 90 elbow to the exhaust stack. Kept it as level as possible and used hard elbows to stop the hose from kinkin or breakin over time. Cant smell it, see smoke and never drips. Over kill I tell ya...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What is a CCV mod and whats the gains of doing this? thanks
Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackstand View Post
What is a CCV mod and whats the gains of doing this? thanks
The OEM crank case ventilation set up is not capable of knocking out very much of the oil vapor that comes with the blow-by gasses coming out of your engine. So what happens is the oil vapor condenses out all thru your intercooler and intake manifold. An oil coated intercooler is not as efficient. So the mod is making a better oil vapor remover or just venting the vapor straight to the atmosphere.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
The OEM crank case ventilation set up is not capable of knocking out very much of the oil vapor that comes with the blow-by gasses coming out of your engine. So what happens is the oil vapor condenses out all thru your intercooler and intake manifold. An oil coated intercooler is not as efficient. So the mod is making a better oil vapor remover or just venting the vapor straight to the atmosphere.

So where is the hose to tap into and do I plug the intercooler hole?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackstand View Post
So where is the hose to tap into and do I plug the intercooler hole?
The hose runs between where you put oil and your air intake. There is no hole on the intercooler that you need to plug.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

I used NC Hornets CCV mod and the best explanation I've gotton on the CCV is that you need to route to a catch can then back to the intake to create a vacuum. All of the residue and oil is caught in the can and drained at oil change. Gases go through the intake cleaned of oil and burned. This is the best explanation I've heard on how to route the CCV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.