Finally Taking the plunge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally Taking the plunge

I've had my 6.4 from the factory ordered since new in 07, its a Job 3 and I have had it stock ever since. I've only put 58k on the truck and have run out of my factory warranty by years before mileage.. Never thought I'd do that before but here I am.

So here's the deal, I am finally pulling the emissions off the truck. Got a real good deal on a Mini Maxx and Exhaust and Intake from a fellow member on here and now going to take the plunge! My question that I have is I am going to order a DP since I'm going to be pulling the exhaust and figured I might as well do it now instead of later. Does it matter in the brand on the DP at all? Do they all match up with any brand exhaust? I like the look of a black tip and also am curious if a MBRP tip will fit say a Diamond Eye or Flow Pro exhaust? Or can I get the Aluminium and use High Temp paint and paint it all black? Will that hold up to Road Salts and Sands and Offroading?

The exhaust I am getting in the kit I will be selling to anyone interested due to it being a 4in with muffler. I am wanting to go 5in no muffler so I am also looking at exhausts now too. Everyone says Flow-Pro but if it doesn't matter on the brand, would I be wrong going with a Diamond Eye since it's cheaper? Do all the kits come with enough parts for a LB EC?

Also, most members on here have Automatics, is there anything different or special to do to the programmer for a Manual truck? Anything that I will need to do with the programmer once I get it? I understand that it is a good idea to plug the mini maxx in with DPF on first to make sure all is compatible and then do the delete with tune. How do I go about getting tunes now since the EPA crashed down on the companies or can I still download them just like normal?

Also who sells the overhead mounts for a 250?

Sorry for all the questions, Ive been a long time lurker but first time risk taker now. Thanks!

Sean

Last edited by Airborne29th; 07-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Down pipe does matter. Powerstroker67 is the best fitting downpipe there is. That being said, I do run a MBRP, I had to adjust it a little bit which included putting a dent in it with a hammer in one spot because of it touching.

Don't cheap out on a diamond eye exhaust. Either do MBRP or Flo Pro. All tips are interchangeable. An MBRP tip will fit mbrp, flo pro, diamond eye, etc.

All kits come made for a CCLB. Just a way for mass production. It will tell you what to leave out of the kit or cut when installing to make it fit anything smaller.

Also, you may find yourself needing a clutch if you run the programmer turned up. The ZF6 wont hold near the power the torqshift will.

As long as your tuner was returned to stock and it is a race tuner, you won't have any problems with getting tunes. The tunes are already on the minimaxx anyways, you may just want to go ahead and update it though before installing.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Why do you say don't cheap on the diamond eye? To what I have read, there isn't much difference between exhausts other than the clamps correct? Any big difference on how the Flo Pro exits out the back?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same questions on the H&S tuner. If you buy an old race tuner from Rudy's for example...and you update it...wont that turn it into a street tuner? What about buying a new H&S minimax, buying the MCC, and then purchase a custom tune from Kem or gearhead? Does that allow you to run a DPF delete, (in case I want to for when I go offroad)? Or is it best to go with a Spartan?

Sorry to hijack...but I essentially have the same questions about exhaust and tuners and searches only pull up info from 2011 it seems. There really is no advice on the EPA regulated tunes and people running MCC on the H&S with custom tunes. Its all very vague.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

As far as I understand, if you buy a cleared Race tuner and update it, it stays a race tuner. I was lucky and purchased a used tuner that had never been opened. Just received everything yesterday in a sealed box and its a race tuner. Going to update it today.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Another question is, looking at exhausts.. I like the look of a black exhaust on my truck.. I am doing away with all chrome if I can, Here in virginia we get salt/sand treatments on the roads and I will be offroading in it. Would I be ok with Aluminzed and painting it with grill paint/hi temp paint or go with stainless. Can you paint stainless? I just don't want just a black tip and a shiny exhaust pipe..
Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
same boat, my warrenty will be up on my 08 in like 3 months. already bought my mini maxx from rudy on friday did it for the simple reason becasue the epa is forcing all the holders of the race tunners to make the price goes up and the demmand increases so i jumped on it. next thing is exhaust. i found a flo-pro 5 inch turbo back for 490 i think i am going to get it seems like that is the route i want to take. and egr delete will be from sinister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.