egr delete pros/con - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
egr delete pros/con

Okay so I talked to a ford diesel tech and he said DO NOT put a egr delete on these trucks it will mess them up quicker that sh!t through a goose. he said blocking off everything off makes the motor get to hot and there is to much pressure...is that just the "ford tech" talking or is that what the case is? cause ive just got this truck i was pretty sure of doing an egr delete after doing all the reserch but now after him saying that im just not sure. what do yall think??? thanks alot guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

I'm looking at a bone stock 08 and I plan on deleting the EGR and DPF asap...

So I'm in for the debate..
Old 07-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Pros
- no more hot, sooty exhaust gases going back through your intake.
- cleans up the engine bay
- eliminates the possibility of a cooler cracking and hydrolocking your engine

Cons
- you loose warranty if that's important

Probably more pros but that's all my mind is letting me type right now
Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM

I asked this same question...I was told it was a question of my ethics......I gave up.....
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

OP, That sounds like a case of an ignorant man not wanting to admit he is ignorant. There is no cons to doing an EGR delete UNLESS you live in an emissions testing state. And then the cons is very obvious
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I think he was referring to the issue of deleting the egr creates more drive pressure which is why the high hp trucks have waste gates. They say with stock truck tuned and egr and dpf deleted the pressure isn't enough to hurt anything. It's when you get more air and more fuel is when the need for waste gate comes into play. I'm also on the edge. Haven't decided what I'm gonna do just yet
Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My questions are: if you're deleted, obviously you're running a tuner of some sort. Is the EGR a separate selectable option to delete? It has been my understanding that when you delete DPF you are also turning EGR OFF. So, what is the difference if EGR is turned OFF versus not there at all (besides the actual coolers themselves)? If EGR is OFF, the valve is ALWAYS closed. If the EGR is GONE, ports are blocked off...same as valve being closed (not allowing exhaust back into the intake).

Mine is coming off the first chance I get!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
I think he was referring to the issue of deleting the egr creates more drive pressure which is why the high hp trucks have waste gates. They say with stock truck tuned and egr and dpf deleted the pressure isn't enough to hurt anything. It's when you get more air and more fuel is when the need for waste gate comes into play. I'm also on the edge. Haven't decided what I'm gonna do just yet
Deleting the egr doesn't create more drive pressure. What happens is the drive pressure can over power the egr valve and push it open utilizing it somewhat as a wastegate, but like stated, only with more fuel should you have to worry about drive pressure. And even at that point you are still best to remove the egr coolers and install an EGR delete w/ wastegate. The tech should have mentioned that if he knew what he was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matted2thefloor View Post
My questions are: if you're deleted, obviously you're running a tuner of some sort. Is the EGR a separate selectable option to delete? It has been my understanding that when you delete DPF you are also turning EGR OFF. So, what is the difference if EGR is turned OFF versus not there at all (besides the actual coolers themselves)? If EGR is OFF, the valve is ALWAYS closed. If the EGR is GONE, ports are blocked off...same as valve being closed (not allowing exhaust back into the intake).

Mine is coming off the first chance I get!!!
The difference in it being turned off vs being removed is mainly the coolers are still there with it turned off and the heat still flows through the coolers which can still allow for cracking and coolant can fill them up.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
wow I got tons of great feed back. as of right now yes i am still under warrenty. thats for another 9k miles or until like september sometime. anyway, I want to get that dpf off of there like now i cringe everytime the truck goes into regin mode while im drving just because i know exactly what its doing under the hood.

But back to the EGR problem...this tech was very adimit on not deleting it for the reasons i had listed. But i do plan on keeping the truck a while and want to prolong the life of the engine. and by the time i figured out i had a cracked cooler wouldnt it be to late? damange would be done wouldn't it. versus doing a delete and just not having to worry about it. and im not going to be running any high fuel stuff the truck is not a sled truck just a daily driving trying to get way better mpg. this is why i like this website!!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
The difference in it being turned off vs being removed is mainly the coolers are still there with it turned off and the heat still flows through the coolers which can still allow for cracking and coolant can fill them up.
So in saying that about the added fuel and big power increase about the drive pressure...it would have to be way more power than the higest tune on say a Spartan (being it has the highest power increase preloaded tune I've seen so far) to worry about a wastegate when running a complete EGR delete.

Pardon my ignorance...I'm learning diesels AND turbos all at the same time! Not only that, I'm trying to make sure I do everything I can now, to keep me from splitting that muther open because of something I could have done but didn't!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.