Installing 4" Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing 4" Exhaust

I finally am ready to remove my stock exhaust. I have a 4" downpipe back MBRP Bungless DPF/CAT delete exhaust kit. The instructions that came with it tell me that this is a pretty straight forward install. I have read the few exhaust install threads that I could find (although I seem to remember a really detailed step by step thread) and understand the tools needed and what to expect. I am fairly mechanically inclined and am pretty confident that I can do this in an afternoon, maybe into the evening. The few questions I have involve fitment. If I'm correct the stock exhaust is 3.5" but the instructions say that the first section just bolts to the stock downpipe. Is this possible if its going from 3.5" to 4". The next question I have is the kit I got goes all the way to the tip but doesn't include one because I like the look of the stock tip. It says the stock tip can be used but again will I have issues bolting the tip to a bigger pipe. Besides that I think everything else seems pretty straight forward. Everything else I understand from selecting the DPF remove tune on my Mini Maxx, so putting dielectric grease on the disconnected sensors and taping them up out of the way. My kit also has one section of pipe I have to cut because my truck is a crew cab short box. Hopefully many of the guys who have done this can clarify those few things. Also any pointers or links to step by step threads would be awesome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes the 4" exhaust will bolt right to the stock downpipe. But the stock exhaust tip is welded to the exhaust, your not going to be able to just take it off and bolt onto the 4" exhaust pipe.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had to jack up the rear of the truck to remove the stock tailpipe section. You could just cut it as well if you didn't want to lift it and have no intention of returning to stock setup again.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
I had to jack up the rear of the truck to remove the stock tailpipe section. You could just cut it as well if you didn't want to lift it and have no intention of returning to stock setup again.
Good to know. I don't mind cutting anything that is stubborn to get it out. The only thing I want to save is the Tailpipe. I guess Ill have to get it re welded onto the end at a fab shop after I'm done. I don't plan on ever turning it back to stock. I'm contemplating whether or not to keep or sell off my old exhaust parts. I know of a few places that pay not bad for the DPF filters.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 PM

How much for your dpf to 95624, California ?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm not sure, 1st off its still on my truck, only 48k on the truck so far. I'd have to check into shipping. They seem pretty heavy so shipping might be a bit. I'll look into shipping costs so I can get an idea if its reasonable. I'll also check around to see what they sell for, I'm not sure what they are worth.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jquick View Post
How much for your dpf to 95624, California ?
I did a rough quote through Canada Post, Purolator and FedEx and they all came in at just over $100 for ground shipping. That's based on a 70 pound package with rough dimensions. Ford lists the filter at 65 pounds.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wouldn't mind replacing my exhaust tip with the side Duals that come with the Banks Monster exhaust kit. Only problem is they don't sell just the Y splitter and tips. I can track down the tips on Ebay but maybe I could take it to a custom fab shop and they could make one.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pdp-assets/...jpg?1280282939
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.