My dyno # dont seem to be right. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My dyno # dont seem to be right.

So i went to a dyno competition last week and decided to run my truck. The crazy thing is all i have done is a H&S blackmax intake and exhaust. The first run was 653.5 HP and 1394.4 TQ the second run i put in tow haul and it ran 682.1 HP and 1359.3 TQ. Now i ended up winning the stock class by over 50 hp second place was another 6.4 that hit 630 hp. Needless to say everyone was dumbfounded and thought i was cheating naturally but that is seriously all i have done and they swear that the dyno was correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

My guess is that it was a SUPER forgiving dyno and the numbers were HEAVILY corrected. Tuner only 6.4's typically make between 550-580 horsepower (give or take 10), and that's track proven. Anything over 600 horsepower with stock fuel (and fuel only) is going to require more air (turbo upgrades) to be legit.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Jeff mine did 630 and I swear by it. Its probably not right but really helps my low ego and the fact that I'm driving a ford.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Tuner only 6.4's typically make between 550-580 horsepower (give or take 10)
I found this funny... Not in a bad way. Just gave me a chuckle to have a range and a tolerance.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
Jeff mine did 630 and I swear by it. Its probably not right but really helps my low ego and the fact that I'm driving a ford.
Yeah, your numbers are a bit on the high side my friend. Get it to the track! That'll tell the tale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
I found this funny... Not in a bad way. Just gave me a chuckle to have a range and a tolerance.
Let me explain. There are multiple tuning companies with tunes out for the 6.4L. Not every company produces the same numbers. There is also the simple fact that not every truck/engine is the same. You could run identical trucks on the same dyno back to back, with the same tuning, and there may be a 10-15 horsepower difference. Then you have to factor in tire size. The bigger the tires, the less horsepower the truck will put to the ground. And finally, tuning has been out for the 6.4L for a long time. In general, race tunes show anywhere from 550 up to 580-590 at the track using a horsepower calculator based on vehicle weight and trap speed. Some dyno's back this up and others read either way high or way low. This is why dyno's should NEVER be used to determine the true horsepower of a vehicle. They're a tuning tool. Start with a baseline, and go from there.

An example of extremes with dyno's.....I put my truck on the Dynocom at Rudy's Diesel Performance and my truck made 640 horsepower with stock turbos fuel only. 12 hours later my truck went on David Dunbar's mobile Dynojet 248C and made 594. No changes at all. Two different dyno's, same truck, 12 hours apart on the runs.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
What is funny about those numbers? Jeff is very correct. Track times prove it. OP, I would agree that the correction factor was turned way up on the dyno.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
What is funny about those numbers? Jeff is very correct. Track times prove it. OP, I would agree that the correction factor was turned way up on the dyno.
It's because usually you get EITHER a number with a plus/minus, OR a number range. Seldom see both together.

Edit ** it has nothing to do with the topic...just an observation (it made me chuckle too) **
Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Those numbers do seem pretty high, our truck made 582 HP and 1287 ft lb to the wheels here at our shop, 2780 ft elevation. Jeff is absolutely correct, aside from different dynos/operators every truck will respond to tuning differently.

Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Dyno Results | Diesel Performance Tuners
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGGS View Post
It's because usually you get EITHER a number with a plus/minus, OR a number range. Seldom see both together.

Edit ** it has nothing to do with the topic...just an observation (it made me chuckle too) **
This is why I chuckled Woodboy. I work with blueprints and sketches everyday...

Thanks Jeff for your explination.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM

A dyno operator can make the numbers come out to be whatever he wants.... Especially if it is one of the Dynojet models...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.