SCT Livewire tuning question - Swapping tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Livewire tuning question - Swapping tunes

I have Gearhead custom tunes on my SCT Livewire, DPF deleted, and was curious if I have to return my truck to stock before swapping from like a tow tune to a street or hot street tune?

Also in regards to the tranny learning shift points etc, how long are people letting their trucks run in a tune to relearn all that? I tow about 2 weekends a month and would like to be able to run street or hot street tunes but don't want to have my truck relearning the transmission shifts every other week in the summers if possible.

I guess I never thought about this with my 6.0 and just had it brought up from another member on here who has a different tuner and thought I should post up for a good answer.

FWIW I usually would load a tow tune on my 6.0 and tow basically the next day. Never really thought twice about it. I did that last weekend with my 6.4 and didn't think about anything being learned or changed and needing time to learn.

I always returned my 6.0 to stock tune before going from tow to street, but am not curious if that is necessary.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldn't say that its right or wrong but I hook up my 35' deck over and switch tunes from Hot Street to tow while I'm loading 2 35hp 4x4 tractors with 5' brush hogs then I just drive like I got sense. I've personally never had problems and I do this sometime 4 or 5 weekends in a row in the spring and summer. Also I never go back to stock in between tunes and usually never go to the street tune (I shouldn't have started with the Hot Street)LOL.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM

You do not have to load the stock tune, just swap from any tune to the tune you want to run. You don't have to worry about letting it learn before you tow, just load it and go. I run Gearhead race all the time even when towing but you have to pull with common sense.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM

AWesome thanks guys, since going to the stock tune takes so long I was hoping this was the case. With my old SCT tuner on my 6.0 I did have to, but it took about 1/4 the time.

Definitely looking forward to running the hot street tune now that I know it's a lot easier and quicker.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Switching between custom and custom, you do not need to return to stock, switching from preloaded to custom, you also do not need to return to stock. I have never went from a custom to preloaded without returning to stock though since Eric has always told me to return to stock before loading preloaded
Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 AM

Just tuned from Tow to Street, I wanted to not step right up to hot street in fear I would never want to tow or use anything else. Didn't go to stock or anything and truck fired right up. Actually when it fired up I could tell right away it was different, not as deep of a tone and seemed to be running almost "lighter" if you will.

Looking forward to driving with that for a few weeks, then towing, then thinking hot street. Thanks for everyones help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.