Tuner problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner problem

Need tuner advice
I have a friend that just bought a 2008 F250 6.4 at an auto auction.

He didn't know about DPF deletes and EGR cooler deletes. This truck has both and is running some unknown tune, there was no tuner with the truck.
so we do not know what tuner was originally used.

The wrench light is not on, but if I scan for codes, using my Spartan, it has a number of codes set mostly related to EGR.

The truck smokes like mad after driving for a few minutes, but runs good until the smoke starts. I plugged my Spartan in to monitor what was happening and found the the smoke was caused by the truck going into regen. If you stop, put the truck in park, regen turns off and the smoke clears quickly then the truck runs fine until you start to drive again.

I told the owner, since the truck already has a DPF delete and EGR coolers removed he needs to get a tuner so the truck can be set up properly as it would be cost prohibited to replace the missing EGR coolers, cat, and DPF.

How do we get this truck running correctly. The owner is prepared to buy a tuner, I'm thinking a H&S minimax or HRT pro race.

If he buys one of these tuners will they work correctly since the stock tune is not installed? Will the new tuner be able to overwrite non stock tune that is currently installed.

Any help welcome.

I
2008 F350 6.4 4x4 DRW CC 4:10 King Ranch Job3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds as though the stock tune is installed since it is going into regen. Possible the person before him returned to stock and sent the truck on leaving the problem for a future owner.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 AM

You could try going to a dealer and getting them to reflash the truck. I am not sure what the cost of that would be though. Probably a couple hundred. Then just get a dpf and egr delete tuner like h&s or spartan and reload the deleted tunes and he should be good to go.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Probably not worth have a factory reflash since that will still cause the truck to go into regen. Get yourself an offroad tuner asap and try that
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds to me like the original owner returned it to stock and shipped it, without the parts being reinstalled.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM

How can a stock truck drive without a DPF and EGR? That is beyond me. The thing shouldn't even be starting after the first time...
Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
How can a stock truck drive without a DPF and EGR? That is beyond me. The thing shouldn't even be starting after the first time...
I think as long as the dpf sensors are installed then it will start. The egr system will cause it to throw codes though and the once the computer realizes there is an issue with the exhaust system being that there is no restriction it automatically goes into regen. When I had my edge I was able to start it and stop it with no issues. I just didn't drive it very far. Probably still farther than I should have but I didn't have any starting issues. At the time I still have my sensors in the delete pipe though.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM

That's weird. I just bought my truck (2008 6.4) at an auto auction. It's got a dpf delete, and some tune. Well when I first started the truck up at the auction it smoked white and had a weird lope to it. But after a while it would all go away and run fine. Well I thought (cause I saw no tuner) if it was smoking white because of regen, poring un neaded fuel in. But if you have a truck in regen and no dpf, the truck will eventually die. So I looked more into it and my MAP sensor was plugged with soot, I threw a map sensor code. So I pulled it out, cleaned it, and now it runs fine, no white smoke. But later I found out I have an sct custom tune, that'll delete the dpf. It's by far the cheapest way to go, and the tune I have from IDP, the "Xtreme X" tune, is rediculously fast
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
They actually run quite well until it goes into regen. Usually takes 10-20 miles. Before I take it to the dealer, I almost always install the stock tune and drive it there and drive it home. Never a problem. i monitor the regen mode with my Spartan though.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 AM

I guess that would be the case with the sensors installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.