Up-pipe delete and/or upgrade ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Up-pipe delete and/or upgrade ?

I came across a thread where it mentioned getting rid of one of the up-pipes. I havent been able to find any other info on this topic. Just curious if i could get some assistance. I removed all the egr stuff also as i read that will determine if you can do this or not.

What has happened is i have a hissing noise, to what sounds like the drivers side. Its the loudest when i first take out of the road cold. then after it warms up its not as bad. I was going to guess a leaky up pipe or one of my boots may be loose or cracked. Im getting ready to go look now for some sooty areas. If you can delete it and block it off id rather do that and not have to worry about it cracking again if it happens to be the an up-pipe.

Also. H&S tunes dpf/egr deleted as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

I looked on the drivers side, i could see it, but i really need a flashlight....started raining again! So i gave up. the bellows, is that what they are called.......are shiny and clean. I did notice on the drivers side of the transmission and i followed it upward a ways and it was black...
anyway thats all i got, i hope someone has something on the delete option of the up pipe
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

anybody yet.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its the pipe that runs into the egr cooler you can take it off but you have to do egr delete and then put the block off plate up top behind the turbo where it connects then would have to tap the plate for your ebp sensor. That's the only pipe I've heard of this being done. Hope it helps and maybe someone that's done it will speak up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM

I've done it. It's a fairly difficult process, but it was definitely worth it for me.

My 6.4 EBP sensor relocation
Old 06-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

My EGR crap is all gone. So if its that pipe that is cracked it can go bye bye then. alrighty i guess ill see what the doctor says about it.

Bryan I like the pics and write up. So if i get this right. after you removed the up pipe from the truck you plugged both the up-pipe holes with the same type of plugs as were used in the EGR delete process. Then in the upper one you drilled a hole in the center of it and threaded the hole.....etc..etc. to get the sensor to connect to this location. Looks like it wouldnt be as hard to do as pulling the cab or dropping the tranny to put in a new pipe! If thats what it ends up being im pretty sure i will be doing this.....However my dealership is pretty cool with mods and im still under engine warranty.....But id just assume to never have to worry about this again
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

i guess i dont need the egr plugs, but the regular exhaust block of plates without the o-rings...whoops my mistake
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM

You're basically correct. I removed the pipe that used to feed the EGR, drilled and tapped the plate that was blocking off the end of that pipe, and put it where the pipe I removed had been connected. The joints are both the same size.

It's hard, but it's not as hard as removing the EGR in the first place. It would also be a lot easier if you had someone helping you. I did it all by myself, which made some parts of the process really difficult.

If you have an EGR delete already, you already have most of the pieces you need to do this. You can do it all with the existing pieces, actually, but I'd recommend using a different fitting to attach the EBP sensor than the stock fitting and steel tube. I used different fittings and got the sensor in what I think is a good place, and I'm really happy with the results. If you were going to copy me exactly, you'd need 2 flare fittings, some copper wire, heat shrink tubing, some cable wrap, and electrical tape. And the ability to solder. The only unusual part of the deal is the flare fittings for the sensor, which you're unlikely to find locally. Everything else is run of the mill hardware store stuff.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Oh yah...duh i forgot i already have a block of plate on that pipe already down low....alright.... I was debating on seeing if i could find the correct fitting for the sensor and have my buddies dad weld it together. Hes a retired welder of 40 years and can weld any metal....Soldering ive done before when i was in tech school, but its been A WHILE!!
Thanks bryan, id say ill be doing this in the next week or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.