Few questions on DPF/EGR deletes. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Few questions on DPF/EGR deletes.

Hate to start a new thread on something that's been said 1000 times before, but I've got a couple quick questions.

I don't have any real experience working on a 6.4, past the preventative maintenance stuff (as I'm a 7.3 owner), but my dad's got a 2010 6.4, and he's looking at doing the deletes, mostly because he's tired of the awful fuel mileage (my truck does better than his)

As far as the hard parts go, I think I'll have him go for the Dirty Diesel EGR delete (looks like a solid kit). The DPF, I'm not too worried about brand, I just want stainless piping, so it doesn't rot out in a few years (thank you Indiana road salt).

The big question in my mind is tuning, he doesn't really want to turn the thing up fuel wise, as it's a daily driver and sees a lot of towing, so all I'd need is a tuner capable of turning off the regen process and not throw a code for a nonexistent EGR system. Question being, what do you guys recommend for tuning?

Other question being, this being a bone stock truck, it shouldn't need a wastegate when I do the EGR system, right?

As far as the wrenching goes, we're both experienced with working on diesel equipment and pickup trucks and have a full set of tools here. (It's a farm shop)

Sorry if this seems like a bunch o' stupid questions, but he's having me research the stuff and I really REALLY, don't want to screw up his truck.

Last edited by '01SilverBullet; 05-29-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Extra info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM

I have a Flo Pro EGR delete on mine, overall I think all the brands are about the same. Replacing the valve with an elbow is a good thing to do in addition to removing the coolers.

Stainless will surface rust faster than an aluminized pipe, but it will last a lot longer. A turbo-back exhaust is best, since it eliminates the restrictive stock downpipe.

You don't need a wastegate.

As for tuners that will allow you to remove the DPF and EGR, I have an H&S Mini Maxx, and it's perfect for me. A lot of people recommend it, but the old off road version, which is the one you want, is getting expensive. A lot of people also like Spartan. Both of them are great because of the additional monitoring they give you. If you don't want any additional power or the monitoring, a lot of people like the DPF-R, and it won't break the bank.

Getting the exhaust out is pretty easy, but the EGR is a pain. Have fun!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
I have the MBRP dpf/cat delete and H&S minimaxx. Go with Spartan or H&S "race" tuner
You can get a DPF delete without bungs...just leave the sensors plugged into the dpf when you drop that hunk of **it. Be careful not to bend or damage the sensors, because you will probably want to hold onto that DPF if you ever do have to run it through a stupid emissions test. B Adams covered the other points....good luck and have fun
Your pa will be shocked at what kind of a new truck he has after your done.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM

I think that DPF-R would fit the bill just fine. If I read right, it also takes care of the code that deleting the EGR will throw. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now, if I can just get him to put a set of gauges in it (like I said, we tow/haul a lot with it)...

As far as it feeling like a new truck, I wouldn't be too surprised if there's more 'put your a** in the seat' feeling, with deleting the restriction in the exhaust.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 AM

More Questions

Men,
I plan on doing the same mods to my truck and instead of a new thread, I thought I would pile on some questions. The DPF-R you're talking about, is it Gear Box Z DPF-R Ford 4.0 Programmer GBZFD40? Also, if you go with a DPF Delete turbo back, will the down-tube be a problem? I had a 6.0 turbo back that the down tube rattled and sounded like a tin can. What air box does everyone recommend, I like the Banks, but wanted some input. Last question ... the EGR delete, how mechanically challenging is it? Will the DPF-R remove all error codes? I don't want dash lights popping up.
Thanks, Frankie
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Gun View Post
Men,
I plan on doing the same mods to my truck and instead of a new thread, I thought I would pile on some questions. The DPF-R you're talking about, is it Gear Box Z DPF-R Ford 4.0 Programmer GBZFD40? Also, if you go with a DPF Delete turbo back, will the down-tube be a problem? I had a 6.0 turbo back that the down tube rattled and sounded like a tin can. What air box does everyone recommend, I like the Banks, but wanted some input. Last question ... the EGR delete, how mechanically challenging is it? Will the DPF-R remove all error codes? I don't want dash lights popping up.
Thanks, Frankie
Yes that's the correct tuning device. I don't have the downpipe done yet on my truck but I have never heard of anyone saying it rattles unless something isn't lined up properly or a clamp is loose so I would say it would be fine unless improperly installed. AFE and S&B are the 2 most popular air intakes for the 6.4's. The egr and cooler delete is fairly straight forward but just time consuming due to the fact that it involves getting into tight areas. I ended up having someone do mine for me because they had experience in removing them and it didn't really take them that long but if I had the time I would have just done it myself. There are a few people running the dpf r products and they seem to be getting good reviews and are well priced. Yes I believe they are also able to remove the egr system as well with no codes or check engine lights.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks! Appreciate the input
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Not sure the dpf-r allows u to remove the egr. Make sure u check before u purchase if that is what u intend on doing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itn69 View Post
Not sure the dpf-r allows u to remove the egr. Make sure u check before u purchase if that is what u intend on doing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
It says it does egr delete as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Doing some reading on it, it actually recommends doing away with the EGR system. The one I'm going to have him go with is the 4.0, because if I read right, after it's program changes are flashed onto the computer, I won't have to think about it.

I think he wants to go with the basic one without the 70 horse tune...for now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.