H&S Mini Installed now having a battery problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S Mini Installed now having a battery problem

I recently installed the mini maxx as the manual stated by powering it off of the purple wire under the dash so it powers up when the ignition is on. I tested the wire before and it shows no voltage until the key is turned. This seems all normal to me and the truck is running great. I had driven the truck about 150 miles before a long trip this past weekend and the only thing I noticed is that every once in awhile I would get an error for the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors, but it was an intermittent thing.

This past weekend I drove about 400 miles and then I parked the truck for two days. I go to start the truck up and click click... battery is dead. So I jump the truck and it starts up fine. I run it for about 20-30 min and shut it off for a few hours and it starts up fine and I drive to where I'm staying and park it overnight. This morning I go to start it and it does start but it's labored meaning the batteries sound drained but it has enough juice to start. I unplugged the mini overnight just in case it might have a slow drain from there as I have not done anything to the truck besides the delete, install mini, and s&b cai. Well after I get the truck started I switch the display menu to show voltage for the battery and I got consisten 14.0-13.8 volts all the way home for 400 miles. Is that the right voltage that I should be seeing? Also, I stopped to grab some food and after I started it up the truck started fine but the mini show 11.8 at first then it kicked up to 12.5 and slowly rose to 13.8. Seems kind of wacky, has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a coincidence that my batteries and/or alternator are going out at the same time I installed the mini?

What should the alternator be putting out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Kwinki dink I think. Alternator voltage sounds good. Get the batts tested.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
It's that time of year where it's starting to get hot and for some reason batteries love to die. I just had to replace both batteries. My truck was doing some of the same things as yours and it was the batteries. As for that purple wire it does have power. I hooked up my minima xx per the instructions and it works great.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover1969 View Post
It's that time of year where it's starting to get hot and for some reason batteries love to die. I just had to replace both batteries. My truck was doing some of the same things as yours and it was the batteries. As for that purple wire it does have power. I hooked up my minima xx per the instructions and it works great.
Its always cold weather that I have my problems
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
Yeah batteries don't last very long in the Az desert heat where sometimes it feels like your living on the surface of the sun. Winters are mild and I've never had one die due to extreme cold. I'm sure some of our mountain residents have that problem though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.