I am planning on helping build a 6.4 and need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am planning on helping build a 6.4 and need advice

I do not own te vehicle, I'm te mechanic chosen to do the upgrades, and I kind of have to do the research and decide for the kid.

It is a 2008 f250 6.4 4x4
It has - super chips programmer
Mbrp exhaust turbo back (no DPF)
4" lift
Updated up pipes
K & N cold air intake

He has a hi psi side batmowheel for me to install and I suggested getting the other one if I am going to go that far into it... Then he started asking dependability questions.... And here is what I have come up with

SINISTER DIESEL
- egr valve/cooler delete with intake elbow
- arp stud kit ( no gaskets ) just replace one by one
- coolant filter system

SUMMIT RACING
- 0-1,600 egt gauge
- 0-60 psi boost gauge
- 2 gauge A pillar pod

Anything I am missing and where I can locate the parts would be appreciated

THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How many miles on the truck? I would go ahead and replace the gaskets when doing the studs if he plans on keeping the truck, go ahead and do it right the first time. Im not sure why he would do the HP Batmo before the LP Batmo? Although I have seen some Batmo failures lately
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Tell him to do studs and gaskets together.....and lose the spuerchip. get a spartan or h&s....then S&B intake or AFE....

Dont know much about the batmo. my truck runs like a striped ape with a mini max 300tune.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck has 110k on it.... I thought the same with the superchip... Never been impressed.... I am trying to be able to keep the bill as low as I can with getting the most work reliability out of what I do... How necessary do you think pulling the heads and the machine work costs are necessary?

Do you like my input thus far?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcampbell View Post
The truck has 110k on it.... I thought the same with the superchip... Never been impressed.... I am trying to be able to keep the bill as low as I can with getting the most work reliability out of what I do... How necessary do you think pulling the heads and the machine work costs are necessary?

Do you like my input thus far?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt if you are doing studs a 110K pull the heads and have them checked, you 'll likely find some head truing and valve seats need attention.
Also consider going with a Spartan or H&S. I use a Spartan just for the Ford specific gauge/monitor capability. You will need to monitor a lot more then boost and egt on the 6.4 to be safe.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM

As the others have said, if the owner wants reliability, ditch the Superchips. His transmission and engine will thank him with a long healthy life. H&S, Spartan or SCT tuning is the way to go. Otherwise, sounds like you are on the right path.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM

I'd recommend getting a real tuner as well. But if you don't, take a look at the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. It can display the EGT and boost that you're after, as well as a bunch of other stuff. It plugs into the OBD port, hopefully it would play well with the tuner. I'm planning on getting one to compliment my Mini Maxx but I haven't gotten around to it yet. And if you went with the Aeroforce gauge you could go with a single pod and keep the handle on the A-pillar. Just a thought.

Also, I've heard that Batmowheels don't preform as well as the stock wheels. I don't know that for sure, but I remember seeing some data to back it up. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

You're on the right track though. The coolant filter, EGR delete, and studs are all good things to do. You can get that stuff from any of the big vendors. Most people wait until the gaskets go before doing studs, so he might want to wait on that if he's trying to keep the cost down.

One thing on the Sinister coolant filter, I had issues with leaks at the small T fittings and on the valves at the filter until I replaced the single hose clamps with 2 hose clamps per connection.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 AM

He needs to swap out the HP Batmo wheel for the LP batmowheel instead first thing if he only wants to do one and save $400. The batmowheel does have improvement (Power and EGTs) over the stock wheels, but as I have stated, I have seen a couple explode lately. Not sure if its from alot of surging, improper torqueing, out of balance, or what, but I have seen it.

With 110k on the truck, there is no way I would do studs one at a time. The heads need to be checked, im sure there are cracks in it also.

Swap the programmer w/ one of the three the others have mentioned, that will help him drastically, he can always do the LP Batmowheel on down the road, the turbos dont have to come off for that. Also, swap the K&N intake. He may also want to look at a CAC pipe to replace the stock one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.