MBRP 5" Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
MBRP 5" Exhaust

Got my MBRP 5" Exhaust delivered today. Got it with the black 6" OD tip. My truck is black so I was thinking I'm going to buy some High-Temp Engine Enamel in black to spray the part of the pipe that is visible near the rear of the truck, before I put the black tip on there. Any advice for the install tomorrow if the weather holds up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just got mine in too and was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't spray engine enamel though. Buy Header enamel instead, it with stands higher temps. Now how long it may last in weather and stuff, I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Well got the exhaust installed today. What a b*&% to get the old muffler out where it bends over the axle. I learned that I have to jack the truck up by the receiver hitch and not by the rear axle. Also learned (once the rear axle attempt wasn't working) that I don't know where my locknut key is for my tires. So after I couldn't remove the rear tire, and couldn't get the muffler out by jacking up the truck under the rear axle, I tried propping the jack up on some lumber and jacking the truck up under the receiver hitch. That got me up high enough where I could remove the rear shock and push the exhaust out towards the front. Then...MBRP didn't do a great job packaging up the kit so as I was installing each section, I had to use vise grips to straighten out the lips of the pipes that got bent during shipping. Oh and it poured down rain right in the middle of all this for about an hour. Once I finally got it all put back together and tightened up, took her for a drive. I will say I LOVE the way it sounds. I've gotta get under the truck tomorrow and check for any leaks and then paint the tail section and be done with it. EGT's are lower, throaty sound, haven't got to stomp on it yet but I'm sure it won't be a noticeable difference.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Did you replace the sensors or leave them zip tied up? I am about to install mine if it gets here tomorrow or thursday and can't wait. I've been soaking everything almost daily in PB blaster and WD40, so hopefully I don't break any of the sensors when removing.

Also I am guessing the answer is yes, but did you use the clamp from the last portion of stock exhaust, where the exit section connects right after the axle? Mine didn't come on the truck(used) and I am guessing I will need a 5 inch exhaust clamp, which only 1 place stocks locally.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM

I forgot to mention, use wd40 on those rubber things and they slide right off. Nothing from the stock exhaust is reused except the hangars that are mounted to the truck. You will need to cut the mid pipe down depending on the body and box length of your truck. I used a sawz all.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Zip tied sensors up. Don't need them.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 AM

Thanks Tony, roger that. I believe my SCT does require the sensors so I had the DPF with bungs. Thanks for the good writeup.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 AM

When I did mine I had a hell of a time getting the stock exhaust off the hangers, so I just unbolted all of the hangers and brought them out from under the truck then removed them. A lot easier this way.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM

It started snowing when I did mine. Was freezing my a$$ off. To make it go quicker I just cut the turn down section over the axle. Took a couple of mins where it would have taken much longer doing all of the jacking as such. My stock will never go back on. Not while I own the truck anyway.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat6183 View Post
Thanks Tony, roger that. I believe my SCT does require the sensors so I had the DPF with bungs. Thanks for the good writeup.
Hey no prob. Sorry didn't realize the SCT needs sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.