Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Updating Mini Maxx... Error message w/ firmware

18K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NVHunter83 
#1 ·
Ok, I've Have not downloaded any tunes into the truck with the Mini Maxx before (EVER). I've been using tuner as a set of gauges pretty much as I haven't installed it, other than the power supply and OBDII port plug-in.

I finally got my exhaust together and I wanted to download the tuner to ensure everything worked before I install the exhaust.

I was told to update the tuner before I install the tunes (because I bought it in October last year and it hadn't been updated since .39 I believe.)

I updated the SD card last night (using the Automatic updater to the newest update (.49).

I went to update the firmware first today and when I hit the yes button the tuner stated

ERROR 0
Unable to open file
MMf008.bin
Ensure SD Card is inserted and try again.

I've tried reloading the firmware and it did the same error message.

I tried the manual specific vehicle update, and it still gave me the same error message when I went to update the firmware.

So I figured I'd try the Full SD Card Download. I downloaded the whole card, however I can't copy and paste it into the SD Card; my computer says there isn't enough space on the card.

I saw that I should not erase or remove any files from the SD card without H&S Tech stating to do so, so I haven't done anything to make more room on the current SD Card.

Does anyone have any advise to help me with this issue...

Should I download the tune first? Then try to update the firmware? The website states to do it the other way around, firmware then tunes...

Thanks,

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
wipe the card first... then c&p it over...

mine does the same thing every time i try to update.. the auto updater has never worked, and always leaves a file behind, or corrupts files along the way.. I'm sure it has something to do with settings on the computer i use, but anyway:

download the entire card as you did... wipe the existing card clean- reformat in you have to, and put the files on it... if there isn't enough room, remove the files for the other tunes on the download (chevy, dodge, 6.7, ect..)...

you should be g2g after that.

#3 ·
I know you are probably using the card that came with it, but do as drewactual stated.

Also for any other members who may be searching for info that may buy a new card from ie: Walmart. Make sure it is 2Gb or smaller and that it is not a High Capacity card

#4 ·
I had the same issue when it was time for me to update my tuner.

I chose to do it manually, so I never tried the automatic one.

First, my card wasn't recognized by my computer - turns out the little adapter to use it in the USB port was bad. I had a spare which now was recognized by my computer.

Second, I could read the data on the card, copy/past as I wanted. Well I tried that in my tuner and got the same .bin error message. I formated the card, re-copied the data and same error. I went to Walgreens and bought a 2G card for like $8 and it worked perfectly.

-Mike

#5 ·
Well, I've reformated the card, (didn't have FAT16 so I used the default, FAT) and then reloaded the whole full sd card onto the card.

No change, still the same error message.

It this happeneing because I've never downloaded a tune into the truck with the unit?

I'm at a loss now...

I went to change the vehicle (just to see what it would say, and the screen said no sd card found, please insert sd card. Its still says its for a 6.4L Ford.

Is my sd card crap?

Thanks

#6 ·
Ok, got the firmware to update, BUT now when I go to install the download just after the question about having an automatic transmission, the tuner changes screens and says:

ERROR CHANGING DIRECTORIES
8C33CAO
Try updating online at h&sperfromance.com

What went wrong now?????!!!!

I've reloaded the full sd card and its still doing it....

Whats next?

Call H&S?

#8 · (Edited)
Ok, feeeuw!!! I was able to figure it out!!!

I found a new SD card in the wife's old cell phone.

I downloaded the full SD card (again), and then reformatted the new SD card, and then copied the full SD download onto the card, (again).

Went out one last time... and it worked like a charm!!!

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

5" Flo Pro going on Monday!!!

:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.