H&S Mini Maxx Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S Mini Maxx Questions

Well I finally got my new truck deleted and tuned. I got really lucky and found a leftover Mini Maxx to do my DPF delete. Had a full EGR delete done and 4" exhaust back into a Magnaflow dual outlet tailpipe kit. Turned out really, really nice but I'm probably going to go back and have a muffler installed. I had the 6.0L straight piped, and even though that sound will always have a special place in my heart, I'm kind of over it and just basking in the pure quiet and comfort of the new to me 6.4.

Here are my questions/concerns. Diesel shop installed the MM and it ran dang good. No complaints. Got it home after I drove it a day or two over the weekend and decided I better check for an update on it since it had been sitting on the shelf awhile. Sure enough, there was an update available for it. Did that and installed it on the tuner itself and then reloaded the tuning on the truck. At that point, I guess I inadvertently found that the MM has two levels of power settings? IIRC, it's like a mild and hot, and in each of those programs, there are four power levels. Does that sound right? I set it on the hot setting and have been running it on that since. Now my truck runs REALLY good, but it's super smokey. Not a fan of that at all. It's throwing alot all over my tips and side of my truck since they're tucked slightly.

Will that smokiness work itself out since its still learning? I don't drive it much during the week, it only comes out on the weekends, so I haven't put many miles on it since I re-loaded the tuning post-update. Another question, is that the level I should be running on if I want to tow with it occasionally on the tow setting?

Next question is, my truck has a 3.55 rear end. Before tuning, the transmission was really good about shifting up and running a real low RPM while crushing. Now, it seems like it won't up shift into the next gear because its always ready to rock. I don't need/want that. I want it to get better mileage. If I want it to go, I'll take the 2 second delay and wait on the downshift to come. Is that normal, or is there some way I can adjust that?

Forgive my ignorance, I've been reading and reading and it's always difficult to tie specific questions I have into 15 different threads discussing pieces of my problems. I'm totally new to the H&S, and I'm more than impressed with them as a company. Hoping some of you guys with MM's can chime in and give me your thoughts/opinions. Thanks alot. H&S Mini Maxx Questions-imageuploadedbyautoguide1366945798.940294.jpgH&S Mini Maxx Questions-imageuploadedbyautoguide1366945823.336072.jpgH&S Mini Maxx Questions-imageuploadedbyautoguide1366945835.786607.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM

Just got mine done as well, when you are loading tunes it asks you how much fueling you want 0 -> 5 . It defaults to 3 , which in my truck blew a lot of smoke. I have changed it to 0 ( Stock) and voila, no smoke. Will try it on a 1 setting to see what that does. I am also running straight pipes from turbo back and it is really quiet unless you stand on it, then it really barks.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 AM

on the 6.4s there is regular tuning and hot dam tuning . the regular tuning is what u more than likely had and after u did the update and re installed the tunes u went to hot dam tuning that is what the power levels u are talking about . re install the tunes and go to the other option and u will be back to were u wanna be and the smoke will clear up . also check the low boost fueling option stock is on 2 so make sure its there and that will keep the smoke levels to a minimum
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhood6.7 View Post
on the 6.4s there is regular tuning and hot dam tuning . the regular tuning is what u more than likely had and after u did the update and re installed the tunes u went to hot dam tuning that is what the power levels u are talking about . re install the tunes and go to the other option and u will be back to were u wanna be and the smoke will clear up . also check the low boost fueling option stock is on 2 so make sure its there and that will keep the smoke levels to a minimum
Very good. I'll reload it tonight and dual down that fueling. I assumed it stayed on a low setting and I would have to bump it up if I wanted to. But the smoke has got to go. Doesn't matter how hard I get on the skinny pedal, it's chugging all the time.

Either of you have any suggestions for the trans?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Once you change the setting to 1 or 0 you will notice a big diffrence im sure you will content
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM

On the trans go to shift schedule 2 and put it on low (s2L) and trans will shift low on rpm and torque converter will lock only in 5th gear and will keep your rpm low. Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Thank you guys for the help. I turned the fueling down to a 1 from a 3 and that helped clean up the smoke tremendously. It still puffs if I get in the middle of it real hard, but at least it's not chugging a stream out at every stop light.

Also turned the trans down to the 2L and that helped out alot too. Truck doesn't stay wrapped up in every gear when cruising now, which should help increase mileage even more.

Although I did change the tuning before I took it on a 140 miles round trip yesterday morning and I got it on the interstate. My instant MPG was reading anywhere from 17-21 before dialing down the fueling. Yesterday, it was only reading 13-14 while running 70-75. Seems strange. Maybe it's relearning again and it will increase? Oh well, more pleased with the drivability of it now.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Good deal, my mileage didn't change one bit when I switched the that shift schedule..but I feel like its better on the engine and Trans not be stretching out each gear like it did before

Old 05-05-2013, 11:26 AM

So now I have a new question/concern. I've had it on the less aggressive trans tuning for a week or so now. Drove it around this weekend and I noticed that between the speeds of 40-50 mph, the trans can't decide what gear it needs to be in. With constant pressure on the throttle, the trans will up shift and downshift back and forth back and forth. It's definitely confused in that range on where it needs to be at. I don't know if it's just a learning thing still since its so new, but it kind of alarms me to have the transmission jumping back and forth in between gears until I let off or apply more throttle. Seems really strange to me. Anyone know anything about it?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Mine will shift from 4 to 5 at about 50-52 mph.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.