spartan 210T bucking at 63 mph - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
spartan 210T bucking at 63 mph

Hey there, for one my speedo is not corrected so this problem is more likely happening at about 66mph but I think that is irrelevent anyway as its probably rpm based.

at any rate when towing on incline with the spartan 210T tune my truck seems to start bucking at a very consistent speed of 63-64 mph. its like I am jerking my foot on and off the throttle, very quick jerks. at first I thought it was my foot bouncing due to a road bump or something but its not.

I have even done cruise control to take myself out of the equation, I can either stomp on it or let off for a second and it will stop, but sooner or later at that speed it will start. its never when I am passing this speed its just when I seem to be on an incline and maintaning steady, I have been avoiding this speed for a year now but it is getting old.

Any ideas, its only with the 210T, I have tried everything else from stock to 275 and it doesn't do it

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the frp surging very fast. A lot of trucks do it. When was the last time you updated
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

A lot of people have pointed to the low pressure fuel pump causing it, and others have pointed to the high pressure pump causing it. It's hard to say because so many different people have different experiences with the "bucking" sensation, with different tuning.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
A lot of people have pointed to the low pressure fuel pump causing it, and others have pointed to the high pressure pump causing it. It's hard to say because so many different people have different experiences with the "bucking" sensation, with different tuning.
LMAO.....First you think its the fuel filters, then tell everyone to buy traction bars now its the fuel pumps.... Its the damn tune....
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyboat View Post
LMAO.....First you think its the fuel filters, then tell everyone to buy traction bars now its the fuel pumps.... Its the damn tune....
Fuel filters could be the issue if they haven't been changed when needed. Traction bars help because axle wrap enhances the bucking. And yes, Eric from Innovative found that an issue related to some trucks and the low pressure fuel system can cause this issue. I know he posted it on PSN once, so I'm sure a quick search would find the post. Others have pointed to the pressure control valve in the HPFP as being the cause. There are many theories, which makes it hard to diagnose.

You're the expert here though, so I'm sure everyone will take your well thought out advice and run with it.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All I know is it only does it on the 210t tune and I have had a year and 5 months since I noticed. I understand axlewrap could enhance an issue but if there wasn't an issue in the first place that would be ideal. New fuel filters don't help. Tried it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

So that's the only tune that does it or the only tune you have ran? I assume if that's the only tune you're seeing the issue with, it's only happening while your towing?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Over the past year I have tried all types of combinations to include towing on other various tunes in the same speed range. Running the 210t empty etc.

He truck needs to have a moderate amount of resistance ie. 10000lbs on a small maybe 2 or3 percent grade. Same load on flat wont do it. Boost is therfore in the 30+range. its not as I am accelerating through the speed it does it but more of a holding steady speed on a small climb it will start. I have attempted to duplicate in other tunes and cant get it to do it.
I do notice frp jumps around on a larger range than normal. Normally its plus or minus a few hundred. While bucking it will be plus or minus maybe 1000.

When were the latest updates?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As always, Jeff, thanks for seemingly hunting out threads that apply to you guys. You are always more than helpful.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The last tuning files update was November 2011.

I would like to know what VGT duty cycle is doing while this is occurring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.