Why delete a 6.4 and maybe not a 6.7 ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why delete a 6.4 and maybe not a 6.7 ?

I have read on different threads and forums about 6.7 if going to leave it stock and 6.4 deleted . I was just wondering are the emissions on the 6.7 not as detrimental to longevity as they are on the 6.4 or is it just for warranty issues because the 6.7 are so much newer and most are still covered. I know both have egr and exhaust filters. Just different methods of regen , right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops250 View Post
I have read on different threads and forums about 6.7 if going to leave it stock and 6.4 deleted . I was just wondering are the emissions on the 6.7 not as detrimental to longevity as they are on the 6.4 or is it just for warranty issues because the 6.7 are so much newer and most are still covered. I know both have egr and exhaust filters. Just different methods of regen , right ?
6.4's have more issues with regens then 6.7's.

6.7's have alot more power stock, even though the 6.4 internals are stronger. I have seen three 6.7 stories with bad or thrown connecting rods. I think alot of the connecting rod stories are connected to sub-par tuners though. So tuning a 6.4 = crazy reliable power. Where 6.7's have yet to prove them selves with alot of HP. (H&S has been working on the 6.7, with very immpresive results though, something like 800/1700)

The 6.7's have a smaller EGR since they added the DEF to help with the emmisions (SCR?). The EGT's during regens between a 6.4 and 6.7 are crazy different. 6.4's are sustaining over 1000* pre turbo EGT's during regens!

Plus with newer trucks IMO why void a warrenty?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops250 View Post
The difference is that the 6.4 uses 100% power killing and engine destroying EGR in order to make emissions. EGR reintroduces exhaust into the combustion chamber to actually cut down on power making (and NOx producing) by reducing oxygen levels. Very archaic to say the least.
The 6.7 uses urea as an after treatment (SCR) of the exhaust that does not involve the engine, thus allowing the reduction of EGR by over 40%. It's a great system that allows for more oxygen in the combustion chamber and a ton more power while still making emissions.

As for engines, the long block 6.4L is far superior, and if that platform would have had the luxury of SCR, it would have been spectacular stock. Since it is not in stock form, the best thing you could do for your overall engine health is to delete and shut down the EGR. Just by shutting down EGR makes the 6.4 a rocket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM

The problem is emission laws get ahead of technology
Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
The problem is emission laws get ahead of technology
Most cases yes, but in this case, no.
Europe has been using SCR for a number of years with great success. It's not new technology, and the technology has been available for quite some time. The problem is that SCR is more expensive and complicated, but works incredibly well and without involving the engine. American engineers thought that they were smarter and decided to use enhanced EGR instead of spending the money and installing something that was far better.
Navistar and Ram were the last to convert. Navistar was especially arrogant to the idea and thought they could make enhanced EGR work. They couldn't, and are currently paying the price with their stock in the toilet. Nobody wants to touch a MaxxForce engine, like nobody wants a 6.4l in stock mode.

Look for the next generation Super Duty to follow the class 8 Tier 4 market and run a higher dose of DEF, while turning down EGR even more. Safe 900 lbs of torque and clean record stock hp will be coming in 15'. The need to delete will soon be gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.