Max Boost for short period? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Max Boost for short period?

Alright guys, I have researched up and down and still am a little confused.

Some say 50psi is fine for stock head bolts...
Some say "set your warning for 32-33psi with a max of 40psi"

Well I will tell you that my truck with a Spartan tune will easily hit 30-33psi under normal load and acceleration, get your foot into it a bit (merging traffic, not racing) and it'll hit 42-43psi. If I do a 3/4 throttle run, 50-51psi.

If I'm consistently hitting 45 will I pop a HG?
If I hit 50psi for a couple seconds will I pop a HG?

I know it's all extremely variable because there are temperatures, boost, load, etc to consider but just say, unloaded, flat ground to a slight grade...

Here's what I'm running:

2008 CCSB, 4x4, AFE CAI, 4in AFE DP, 5in AFE DP back exhaust, Spartan Tuner 275hp tune, RCD full EGR delete w/CAC tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd set max boost at 40 for dd to be safe. For track I wouldn't want to go over 52. A big thing when running that much boost is to make sure your inter cooler boots are tight, if one lets go with 45+ boost you can tear stuff up.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Stock trucks will make 38-40 psi. I wouldn't start worrying until you see north of 45 psi. Some people see 50+ with no issues, but that's a little on the extreme side with stock head bolts.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You cant set max boost on the dashdaq. The max is pretty much for analog gauges to register all the way to that number. You dont want EGT's and Boost monitoring on the same style gauge that registers for instance 1800*. So if you are monitoring digital, dont set a max, if you are monitoring with the analog style setup, set it accordingly. I would set boost max on an analog at 60 and for EGT on analog at 2000. I wouldnt be worried until around 45 psi at the higher egt range. I think Ford's newest update for a stock truck throws an overboost at 38pounds? Someone correct me if I am wrong. But if they are putting the stock limit right there, they are considering boost being 38pounds for a long period of time being safe

Last edited by WoodBoy; 04-05-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Well I hit 59psi, with 65 ebp and blew up my trucks gaskets.....
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM

59psi? I thought you were on stock turbos and stock fuel
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Woodboy, what did you mean in your post about analog vs digital? It was kind of cryptic. If I set warning and maxes on my spartan will it not de-fuel?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
You cant set max boost on the dashdaq. The max is pretty much for analog gauges to register all the way to that number. You dont want EGT's and Boost monitoring on the same style gauge that registers for instance 1800*. So if you are monitoring digital, dont set a max, if you are monitoring with the analog style setup, set it accordingly. I would set boost max on an analog at 60 and for EGT on analog at 2000. I wouldnt be worried until around 45 psi at the higher egt range. I think Ford's newest update for a stock truck throws an overboost at 38pounds? Someone correct me if I am wrong. But if they are putting the stock limit right there, they are considering boost being 38pounds for a long period of time being safe
You can set limits on the DashDaq. It's not setting the max it will read. The DashDaq let's you set a warning number. It's still going to read out to whatever your truck tells it. Beauty of digital (if the truck says 5000 EGT it's gonna say it on the DashDaq).

As far as limit I don't know what the stock over boost is, but my alarm is at 42. I have hit 62 once when I first tuned it and didn't have any other real supporting mods and didn't realize it. (Got lucky and won't be doing that again...)

I don't know what the actual limits on these trucks are, I don't think anyone of us is willing to just push and push until an engine grenades just to tell everyone else what the limit is. For me I just keep a reasonable safety margin and still have fun while driving.

Gave a buddy in his Porsche a nice surprise when I pulled away from him getting on the freeway this week tho. (EGTs stayed under 1400 and boost hit 44)...

Old 04-06-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
You can set limits on the DashDaq. It's not setting the max it will read. The DashDaq let's you set a warning number. It's still going to read out to whatever your truck tells it. Beauty of digital (if the truck says 5000 EGT it's gonna say it on the DashDaq).

As far as limit I don't know what the stock over boost is, but my alarm is at 42. I have hit 62 once when I first tuned it and didn't have any other real supporting mods and didn't realize it. (Got lucky and won't be doing that again...)

I don't know what the actual limits on these trucks are, I don't think anyone of us is willing to just push and push until an engine grenades just to tell everyone else what the limit is. For me I just keep a reasonable safety margin and still have fun while driving.

Gave a buddy in his Porsche a nice surprise when I pulled away from him getting on the freeway this week tho. (EGTs stayed under 1400 and boost hit 44)...

You have warnings and you have limits, but the limit is gauge limit not defuel limit. Warning just tells you when you are at or past that point. Try this, Set your boost to an analog gauge setup, set your max limit at 20psi and see if your truck will defuel at 20psi
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 AM

It's hard to say I blew mine and my truck has never been over 40 before they went. Other guys run 50 all day long there's no magical number each truck is different just use common sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.