Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Max Boost for short period?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Gerry 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I have researched up and down and still am a little confused.

Some say 50psi is fine for stock head bolts...
Some say "set your warning for 32-33psi with a max of 40psi"

Well I will tell you that my truck with a Spartan tune will easily hit 30-33psi under normal load and acceleration, get your foot into it a bit (merging traffic, not racing) and it'll hit 42-43psi. If I do a 3/4 throttle run, 50-51psi.

If I'm consistently hitting 45 will I pop a HG?
If I hit 50psi for a couple seconds will I pop a HG?

I know it's all extremely variable because there are temperatures, boost, load, etc to consider but just say, unloaded, flat ground to a slight grade...

Here's what I'm running:

2008 CCSB, 4x4, AFE CAI, 4in AFE DP, 5in AFE DP back exhaust, Spartan Tuner 275hp tune, RCD full EGR delete w/CAC tube.

See less See more
#3 ·
Stock trucks will make 38-40 psi. I wouldn't start worrying until you see north of 45 psi. Some people see 50+ with no issues, but that's a little on the extreme side with stock head bolts.

#4 · (Edited)
You cant set max boost on the dashdaq. The max is pretty much for analog gauges to register all the way to that number. You dont want EGT's and Boost monitoring on the same style gauge that registers for instance 1800*. So if you are monitoring digital, dont set a max, if you are monitoring with the analog style setup, set it accordingly. I would set boost max on an analog at 60 and for EGT on analog at 2000. I wouldnt be worried until around 45 psi at the higher egt range. I think Ford's newest update for a stock truck throws an overboost at 38pounds? Someone correct me if I am wrong. But if they are putting the stock limit right there, they are considering boost being 38pounds for a long period of time being safe

#8 ·
You can set limits on the DashDaq. It's not setting the max it will read. The DashDaq let's you set a warning number. It's still going to read out to whatever your truck tells it. Beauty of digital (if the truck says 5000 EGT it's gonna say it on the DashDaq).

As far as limit I don't know what the stock over boost is, but my alarm is at 42. I have hit 62 once when I first tuned it and didn't have any other real supporting mods and didn't realize it. (Got lucky and won't be doing that again...)

I don't know what the actual limits on these trucks are, I don't think anyone of us is willing to just push and push until an engine grenades just to tell everyone else what the limit is. For me I just keep a reasonable safety margin and still have fun while driving.

Gave a buddy in his Porsche a nice surprise when I pulled away from him getting on the freeway this week tho. (EGTs stayed under 1400 and boost hit 44)...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Woodboy, what did you mean in your post about analog vs digital? It was kind of cryptic. If I set warning and maxes on my spartan will it not de-fuel?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
It's hard to say I blew mine and my truck has never been over 40 before they went. Other guys run 50 all day long there's no magical number each truck is different just use common sense

#13 ·
I've seen 59 on the track a few times and 6 months later it was in the shop for HG and studs and EGR delete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.