Towing With Mini Max Questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Towing With Mini Max Questions?

Power Level Settings are: Stock, Tow, Street, Performance. Why is it suggested to tow on the Stock setting when one of the settings is for Tow? If it is because of high temps then why call one of the power levels Tow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
I tow in mild usually. I think that is what is now called the tow setting. I haven't been back stateside since the changes. I just keep an eye on temps, and so long as everything is good, I go. If EGT's get a little warm, I back it down a setting. In Texas, with very few hills, I seldom have problems.

I'll be anxious to see what others have to say.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 AM

They no longer have one called "Tow". Its called Wild, Mild and Hot now. I always tow on 'No Power" or "Mild". And watch temps. I seem to be find on mild with my trailer empty, but if I have anything significant in it I drop down a level.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I usually tow in Wild. This is usually with a 27ft Haulmark enclosed, or a 32ft PJ flatbed. I find that I rarely see over 950 for EGT's. I get better fuel economy this way, and unless its really Hilly my temps run consistently cooler than on Mild. Almost forgot....Its in mild tuning mode (not hd300)

Last edited by mtnclimber; 03-28-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
I usually tow in Wild. ........ my temps run consistently cooler than on Mild.

Hmmm. Wife is actually towing today. I might have her put it on wild and see if the temps come down.

Are you running full exhaust and seeing only 950 on the EGT's? I'm still stock exhaust except for the DPF, so I bet I'll be closer to 1200.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb726 View Post
They no longer have one called "Tow". Its called Wild, Mild and Hot now. I always tow on 'No Power" or "Mild". And watch temps. I seem to be find on mild with my trailer empty, but if I have anything significant in it I drop down a level.
I've got the latest update- and stock, mild, wild, and hot, are replaced with stock, tow, street, and performance.. the values of whatever name you select are the same, though..

why 'tow'? dunno.. maybe they were reaching for options, and that one fit and also matched names comparable tuners are using.. the concern for towing in above stock settings, is that a hellalotta torque is laid into the transmission, which resists it, as you would imagine a load would do, and gives you an opportunity to break something.. the lessor tunes (stock, tow) are better for this purpose..

edited to add: my preference, fwiw, is to roll out in stock setting- once the load is rolling, shift on the fly to either tow, or street.. preferably tow.. I seem to get better mileage on the higher settings, as counter-intuitive as that sounds..

Last edited by drewactual; 03-28-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM

I think the changes in the names came in conjunction with the introduction of the Street Tuner. I think it's a way for H&S to draw less attention from the feds on the whole emission controversy.

As for the increased torque and opportunity to break stuffs, I agree. Personally, I'm extremely light on the go pedal when towing because it usually involves the likelihood of injuring horses, but with a flatbed of plate steel, I could definitely see twisting expensive items in half.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM

The increased torque is only there after a certain point in pedal position. You control all this with your foot. I tow on my 275 tune which runs lower egts and etc because of timing and etc. Of course I would never floor it. All they are doing is making a "recommendation" because of the amount of users out there who think that they can tow whatever and use all the pedal they want. Most people "with sense" tow on higher settings because they control the pedal and usually get better fuel mileage while running cooler egt's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.