Installed Rudy's Cold Side CAC Pipe with PICS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed Rudy's Cold Side CAC Pipe with PICS

Installed my new cold side pipe I ordered from Rudy's. Install was pretty straight forward, PITA to get the old one out and the new one in. Once i got the new one in, i had a heck of time getting the inter cooler boots back on the new pipe right off the inter cooler.. i ended up having to move the metal ring over and disconnect the boot from the intercooler to get it on. you can see from the pics what i mean about with the rings.

noticeable quicker spool up. havne't really had a chance to check EGT's while cruising.. but the little bit that i drove it today, it was at least 50 degrees cooler just cruising @ 60. My mom took it on a 200 mile round trip today to pull my brothers boat home from lake anna, 20' bass boat. 100 miles unloaded, 100 miles loaded.. mom doesn't know the difference, but she said the truck performed flawlessly. Running IDP's extreme mild with firmer stock lock tunes.

its a very tight fit... its definitely rubbing on the metal and causing a vibration i can hear and somewhat feel.. i'm going to need to stick something in between the pipe and radiator support. this is a quick/somewhat easy way to make your truck breath better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews

You need to grind that lip off the support right there to the upper left corner of where the tube is rubbing the lip of the support and it'll clear just fine

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks good!

Question for you tho... what is the box against your radiator support for? I noticed it in another members truck last week and realized its not on my truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballn2 View Post
Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
Looks good!

Question for you tho... what is the box against your radiator support for? I noticed it in another members truck last week and realized its not on my truck...
I'm assuming you're talking about that little beige looking box. i'm not sure what its connected to. never really looked or noticed it. give me a few, i'll go outside and see what its connected to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
You need to grind that lip off the support right there to the upper left corner of where the tube is rubbing the lip of the support and it'll clear just fine
i got the rudy's pipe cuz it says no grinding required.. but, i agree, it looks like some grinding is required. i had a heck of a time getting the IC boot on.. would getting Diesel Site boots help ? i haven't tested my truck with a high HP tune yet with this... maybe 40-45 PSI. time will tell. i really dont want to take this suck back out just to grind it down cuz it was such a PITA to get in.. took 3 of us to get it in without grinding.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
Looks good!

i just traced it out. its some sort of electrical connection for the vacuum lines for the 4wd system and the hubs. runs from the pump, up and across the top of the radiator, and down to the passenger side hub.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would grind that mess
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
i just traced it out. its some sort of electrical connection for the vacuum lines for the 4wd system and the hubs. runs from the pump, up and across the top of the radiator, and down to the passenger side hub.
ah... makes sense since I have transfer on the floor... and the other one I saw was a guy with a real KR (not a clone like mine).
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:

i got the rudy's pipe cuz it says no grinding required.. but, i agree, it looks like some grinding is required. i had a heck of a time getting the IC boot on.. would getting Diesel Site boots help ? i haven't tested my truck with a high HP tune yet with this... maybe 40-45 PSI. time will tell. i really dont want to take this suck back out just to grind it down cuz it was such a PITA to get in.. took 3 of us to get it in without grinding.
Dieselsite boots are great but your going to have an even harder time fitting them over the bead on that pipe. They are thicker and don't stretch the same.
Very well made boot though.

I had the same problem with my pipe.
The bead is formed with an expander die, unfortunately it's expanded so much that the pipe itself is now larger than 3" and then you have the bead ontop of that.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 AM

How much did this Rudy ic pipe cost and what's the supposed benefit? Increased airflow but what else? Is it worth it?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcaattcckk View Post
How much did this Rudy ic pipe cost and what's the supposed benefit? Increased airflow but what else? Is it worth it?

sending you a PM.

Increased airflow, lower EGT's, Faster spool up. i haven't been able to do any mileage tests yet.. i'm still on the same tank of fuel... its only been on for 36 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.