switching tuners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
switching tuners

Hello all! First time poster long time reader here. The time has come where I need some of your guy's help.

I have an 09 f350 that has an intake, dpf/cat delete, and a spartan tuner. I bought an h&s tuner that I want to switch to instead of using the spartan.

My question is how do I go about returning my truck to the stock file with out bolting up the dpf. Can I just pull the sensors out if the dpf, plug them in, load up the stock file, start it for a couple minutes. Then shut it down, take the sensors out and load up the h&s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

switching tuners

Since you are a spartan user. How long have you been one? Why are you switching tuners? How is the spartan tuner would you recommend it? I am a first time user for a tuner.
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Been using spartan for the past 15 k miles. Overall its a good tuner but I have nothing else to compare it to yet. It gave me a 2-3 mpg increase over stock and the power is just unbelievable. I'm switching because I'm fed up with when every time I switch tunes I have to do a trans relearn. Which for me is a PITA. Also for the best fuel mileage I'd run the 275 tune but the accelerator pedal is extremely touchy. That when I would hit a bump in the road the truck would start bucking like crazy from my foot bouncing. A couple other thing are that you can't change tire sizes and disable tpms.

With that being said im still holding on to the spartan. But for now until spartan remembers about their 6.4 users and gives us an update. My tuner will be sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

I don't mean to offend anyone I'm just speaking from personal opinion
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The spartan tuner is setup like that to have different trans strategies per tune, and on top of that it changes things inside the whole tune that shift on the fly (H&S) doesnt allow in between tunes. Not trying to stir you away. You can just simply return to stock. You dont need your dpf and all that stuff. Just click return to stock and when its finished returning to stock, load up the H&S
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How would the bucking be from the trans strategies? It bucks when the throttle pedal bounces wouldnt that be fuel related?

So when my spartan finishes loading the stock tune and it tells me to turn the key off for 10 seconds and then start it. I can just unplug it and load up the hs
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could start it, not going to hurt nothing. Just start it and turn it back off. The bucking sounds like just touchy throttle from the high rail pressure at part throttle. When is the last time you updated the dashdaq?

I was stating the trans relearn for each tune, most people just load a tune, and drive it normally, dont do the 0-60 etc runs. Then again some people do. I personally have never done that nor have my friends that run Spartan and all is well
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that's what I thought but spartan tech said it will not start if the dpf sensors are not plugged in.

I bought it less than a year ago so it already had the updates and just to make sure the tunes are the newest. I bought a new sd card a couple weeks ago and downloaded the most recent files from Spartans website.

I would love the the 275 tune if it didn't have such a touchy pedal for the first say 15% of it. I heard the 300 is better but I don't want to risk the trans or hg. like I said I'm still holding on to the spartan. Since h&s has mcc I figured I could adjust the tune to better fit my needs rather than wait for Spartans unknown updates.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Premium Member

I wouldnt worry about the HG with the 300 or 310 unless you drive around full throttle everywhere, I run the 310 as my DD, and at the track, and you think the 275 is jerky? But I like it like that, instant throttle response!!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
switching tuners

Not trying to stir the pot or deter you from using the H&S (I would actually love the opportunity to try it so I was more knowledgeable to how it runs and the different options on it), but the Spartan 300 is gonna be a better daily for you than the 275 or the 310. The latter are race tunes and have very touchy throttle. The 300 was designed as a DD tune. I use it every day. I've been trying the 210 for a little bit because I was curious, but I will be switching back once I get a good fuel mileage baseline for the 210. The 300 uses less boost pressure during day to day activities than the 210 does! I tried the 275 for a little while, but not enough to get a good baseline on it. I didn't like the touchiness while I was daily driving.

Anyway, good luck with the switch and let us know what you think of the H&S once you switch!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I should try the 300. Even if the 300 it's a better dd tune, which I'm sure it is. I still have the problem that When I tow and I switch down to the 210 tune. I still have to do a trans relearn every time I switch. And during winter and summer I'm towing almost every weekend.

My truck does not like when I don't do a trans relearn. So I do the relearn process every time.

thanks guys for your help and when I get some time under my belt with the h&s. I'll update with some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.