Changing Lower Fuel Filter PITA..Helpful Hints - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing Lower Fuel Filter PITA..Helpful Hints

So I changed my fuel filters myself last night for the first time (truck only has 22134 miles & dealer did first change for free). The lower filter was a huge PITA! I now have diesel fuel all over my shop floor & I did a good job of getting myself covered too. Getting the socket around everything and getting the cap off & then back on is no easy task. I got it done but I'm sure there are many helpful ideas out there to make this job easier and cleaner. Whoever came up with putting the filter where it is should be shot.

By the way, I only run Chevron or 76 fuel and although the lower filter was dirty (but not overly) the upper filter was pretty clean. I think running top tier fuel makes a difference.

Lastly, what is the best way to clean up diesel fuel from a cement floor.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM

This a dumb question but did you drain the fuel first? I use an old coffee can and drain the water separator first. This gets the fuel out of the filter housing. Then just pull filter cap and filter. Replace filter prime and done. As for getting fuel up I have used degreaser or brake cleaner.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Yes I did drain the fuel first (well over 1 gallon) but some fuel still came out when I removed the filter. Then the filter got stuck on some of the crap in the way of pulling it straight out. So, fuel dripped all over me and the floor. I'm wondering if I should have done the upper filter first or at least removed it so fuel in the line would drain out. Not sure how this whole system works.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to PSDfreak

I've only changed them myself once (dealer has done it the other times). I too got a good bath. I have heard from others that having your fuel tank at or below 1/4 tank helps when changing the filters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Huh when I change mine I don't get drenched at all, a bit runs down my arm but that's about it. I forget which one to change first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Change top first and make sure your tank is as low as possible. I had a buddy changing his bossman's, not knowing he had just went and filled it up and the transfer tank up in the bed. Needless to say it didnt get changed that day even after he let 5 gallons of diesel run over the shop floor
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Ok I have three stupid questions. Where is the engine compartment one located?how much do the filters run? Are they just oem filters? Thanks

Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM

I use a regular ratchet and 1 7/16 socket with a 3ft extension...works like a charm. Just put a drain pan under the housing.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsiv View Post
Ok I have three stupid questions. Where is the engine compartment one located?how much do the filters run? Are they just oem filters? Thanks

It is located right beside the oil filter, i think they run $50 for the both, yes use oem filters.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM

Stick to the Ford Motorcraft filters. They come in set the upper and the lower filter. This is the most important maintenance item on the truck.
By the way the lower filter water separator drain needs to be opened for a few seconds once a month to get the water out of there. You would be surprised at the dirt that comes out. You only need to drain maybe 4 or 5 ounces of fuel each time just make sure it is clear and and no more water comes out. I've never had more than 1/2 of a teaspoon of water come out. Any dirt in the fuel or water doesn't include what dirt is in the filter. ANY piece of that dirt and or water that gets past the filters can severely damage the fuel injection system! Big $$$

Don't change the filters unless you have less tha 1/4 tank of fuel! The less the better. Leave the yellow drain valve open until it stops flowing. A good time to do the upper filter while it is draining. Don't rush it or you will have a diesel fuel mess on the floor and on you. I forgot to mention before you start this job clean the dirt and grime that might be up in the frame rail where the filter is to make sure you don't introduce dirt into the new filter or in the filter housing.
After the filters are changed you have to prime the fuel system to get the air out. Put the key in the ignition and turn in on but don't start the engine just count to 10 and turn it off. Do this 8 or 10 times before you try to start the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.