With tuning turning off EGR why bother delete it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question With tuning turning off EGR why bother delete it?

I just installed an H&S tuner and deleted the DPF and the DOC. This tuner turns off the EGR valve stopping flow of exhaust. Why bother to delete the EGR. It doesn't leak, the water still runs through no problem there it can't pick up much heat with no exhaust flow and no high heat REGENs that was probably the reason for failure.
I read someone write about back pressure. There will be less pressure than ever with no regens and restrictions of the Doc and DPF and the whole thing will be cooler. I plan to Leave my EGR system turned off but intact.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM

From what I understand water still passes through the coolers so there is a possibility of a leak happening sometime. And, I was told, that the EGR valve still opens at idle allowing exhaust in there. Based on these 2 items I deleted the EGR and coolers. I now feel my motor is pretty much bullet proof.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 AM

fairhaven, not trying to burst your bubble but i don't see where you have studs. If not you should get them. Not quite as bullet proof as led to believe. And i agree with you on the reasons people remove the valve and coolers all together. I did it to mine. Makes it nice knowing that they aren't going to fail when they are in a box in my attic.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM

The problem is the coolers can still fail, and backpressure can actually push the valve open at a certain point. And backpressure is created by the exhaust side housing of the turbo. Not by the dpf/doc. It may create some pressure and not allow the air to flow out as effeciently as a straight exhaust, but not create the backpressure you would be concerned about
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM

The total back pressure will be reduced by the elimination of the DPF/DOC which will help.
I was thinking of the thermal shock of the EGR coolers during REGEN being eliminated. This should make the stock EGR coolers with no exhaust flow across them run near the coolant temperature. There is always the possibility of failure but I would think the failure rate would be drastically reduced. This is only my theory. I don't where or why the EGR coolers fail but if anybody knows it would be interesting to find out. It would be such a job to remove the EGR coolers if I can leave them alone I would prefer to. The only real performance gain would be removing EGR valve from the intake manifold. Even the cooler block off plates would be tough job in a tight space to work in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.