First day at the Track - 13.22 quarter mile - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First day at the Track - 13.22 quarter mile

Hello everyone,

Just got back from my first day at the track. It was a total blast and the truck performed great. To be honest I was a little fearful of drag-racing at first. After all, these trucks are not cheap and mine is out of warranty. Moreover, the thought of slamming it into a wall, or worse yet, looking like a fool by screwing up the lights is enough to give anyone the jitters.

My brother-in-law routinely races his 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT at Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA (Silver Dollar Raceway - Home). We drove down from Atlanta to visit him and the trip just happened to coincide with a Saturday test & tune day so we took the entire family to Silver Dollar to watch him race.

We arrived early and the weather was a little chilly (about 50F) so there were very few cars running. However, there were three diesels including a lifted Ford, a Dodge, and a Chevy.

After watching them run twice I built up the courage to run my Ford. Silver Dollar allowed me to upgrade my spectator band to a pit-pass for another $10 and I was ready to race.

Fortunately for me, the first time I pulled up to the light there was no one to race against. Here was my plan:

1.Turn off a/c or heat

2.Turn off Traction control

3.Pull around the water

4.after straight, put the Truck in 4WD (ensure you have enough runway for a full tire rotation to ensure the 4WD is engaged.)

5. Roll forward until the first yellow light turns on.

6. Mash the brake and rev the engine to 2K

7. Slowly let off the brake and allow the truck to inch forward until the second yellow light turns on

8.Watch the tree lights and when the last yellow is lit simultaneously floor it and release the brake.

Let me tell you, breaking and revving at the same time is tricky. I looked like someone trying to drive stick for the first time. I jumped the line and red-lighted, then I just took off because I was too mortified to put it in reverse. When I exited the track and passed by the person handing out time slips, she apologized and said the machine had malfunctioned. I had a pretty good idea of what actually went wrong, it was me.

When I re-entered the pit area there were quite a few cars lined up and I was feeling butterflies. I was next to a highly modified red GTO. I could hear his burnout and my adrenaline started pumping. By the time I pulled to the light I was jittery and had tunnel vision. In spite of my previous performance, this time things went much better. On the last yellow light I slammed the accelerator, the truck connected, and I was thrown back in my seat. It was so smooth and felt like I image it would be like to launch a fighter off an aircraft carrier. My tunnel vision vanished and much to my surprise I was ahead of the GTO. Then I hear my Mini-Maxx beeping.

I LOVE my Mini-Maxx but it SHOULD log the last defuel event or leave the defuel event on the screen for 60 seconds. I just donít have time to look down at the screen while Iím running down a racetrack. IF YOU WORK FOR H&S PLEASE FIX THIS. THIS WOULD MAKE YOUR PRODUCT EVEN BETTER THAN IT ALREADY IS.

Ultimately, the GTO inched past me but I ran a 13.227 on my first race. I'm #33:

Checkout the Video on YouTube: Ford F-350 vs GTO - First Drag Race - 2008 6.4L SRW - Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA - YouTube

Last edited by GadgetGuy; 02-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Not bad. My first time at the track racing my truck was nerve racking. I have been to the track a million times just never experienced the adrenaline of something like that. It was wild. My 6.4 ran a 13.4 but was spinning all 4. Later I found out to let a little air out of the tires because I had them at max psi plus the trail grapplers don't do real well. This spring I'm gonna run with my stock tires and see what it will do. Should closer to the 12's hopefully
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM

I had a '69 Mach 1 in high school and my first race was against my father in his 498ci '69 Chevelle. He'd been racing since he was a kid... talk about butterflies!

I agree w/ you about the Mini Maxx, you should at least be able to scroll through and see your individual sensor max parameters.

I know my mustang with the 351w never ran in the 13's. lol
At least you beat the GTO driver in reaction times, that's what really counts!

What other goodies do you have besides the tuner??
Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM

That's a pretty decent run! Real nice R/T in my books too.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM

If you are not racing anyone, take your time, pull up to the line and go ahead and light both stage lights, and let the light turn green and get your rpms (or boost if thats what you use) where you want it and launch whenever you want. Remember, time doesnt start till you take off.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what mods do you have done? i havnt run my 6.4 at the track yet but am running the spartan 275 tune withe dpf delete. was curious of what numbers it would put up
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Nice run. Great short time, not used to seeing a low 13 under 100 mph.....thats nuts.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbal2332 View Post
what mods do you have done? i havnt run my 6.4 at the track yet but am running the spartan 275 tune withe dpf delete. was curious of what numbers it would put up
You should be mid 13's. I would invest in a CAI if you want to run the 275 tune hard
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM

First day at the Track - 13.22 quarter mile

To the op, what's all done to the truck? H&s and?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
You should be mid 13's. I would invest in a CAI if you want to run the 275 tune hard
I have the AFE stage 3, just forgot to mention it. I just need a transmission control module and egr delete now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.